First attempt at 1000 yards! Success!!!

These were handloads -
Hornady 143 gr ELD-X
Powder is IMR 4831

I had several pounds of IMR4831 and gave it a try and was surprised to see it was producing good groups and velocity.

the 26" barrel helps. No pixie dust powder here (although I did manage to locate powders last fall), I'll keep this load for now...

Took some time on Saturday to explore some public land and find a place to shoot my X-bolt 6.5 PRC out to 1000 yards. I've got range access to 550 but that's as far as our local range goes.

I setup at 100 yards for sight checking. Then set my target stands out at 800 yards and what ended up being 1004 yards. I hung two milk jugs on each stand and put a cardboard backer on each as well.

Wind was variable from 6 to 15mph but I was able to setup with it in my face.

I use the shooter app and it has served me well. I started with cold bore shots at 800 and then sent a few out to 1000. None appeared to impact my water filled milk jugs so I shot my 100 yard target and made a slight scope adjustment. Then drove out to the longer targets to see what was up.

I sure felt better about it all after checking the target close up. Several impacts in the cardboard below the jugs...

Dialed up an extra 1 MOA at 800 and shot. Then dialed out to 1k and added 1.5 MOA to the calculator numbers. Super excited when I saw impact at 1004 yards and saw the water splash! Super exciting.

turned out I handle nicked it at 800 and center punched it at 1004. Also noted the bullet didn't expand at all at that distance and started to tumble in the water jug and it keyholed the cardboard.

im looking forward to doing this again and again... 😁😉

I'm sure many will be curious so I'll put it here.
26" barrel on a factory Browning C-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range. Only modification is lighter trigger spring. It is crisp and breaks at 1#8oz and passes the 4' drop test.
Rifle shoots 143gr ELDX factory ammo and hand loads the same. During fall last year I was averaging 3010fps.
scope is Burris Signature 5-25x50 - love the scope!! It is in Burris XTR signature low rings.
Lieca 1600 rangefinder

harvested 6 deer and an elk with this in 2020.
30 cal have a lot cooler affect. My 7 mm 175 elite hunters have the same affect as your 6.5 they just pencil through. I did it with 30 nosler at 835 yards and the jugs blow up.

How was it at 1000?
Haven't done the jugs at 1000 yet. Just comparing the 7 bullets to the 30 cal at 830 Yards. The bigger 30 cal make a huge difference on water jugs.
7Saum and 7 prc I couldn't tell I hit until I seen the water draining and the 30 nosler exploded the jug.
I'm definitely going to have to do it at 1000 and 1480 yards.
I have a slight addiction now after shooting 2000 yards. I need more ! 🤣
Unfortunately Winter finally just arrived here so won't be shooting much now.
I'm just going to start picking smaller targets to hit at 1480 and in.

Great shooting by the way 👍