First Ar15 Deer

Nice one man, congrats! Just got home from Nebraska last week, harvested a solid 8 point while I was there. Not with the 5.56 though, I brought the .270 so I could be more lethal at long range. This guy was about a 275 yard shot. I'll be back in the Louisiana woods after thanksgiving with the 5.56 after a few mature bucks we have on camera.

View attachment 411970
Anyone suggesting a MSR is not a hunting rifle should take note!

As a Texas farmer I see AR's are rugged tools like fencing pliers or a hammer. I keep mine in a rack in the cab. I don't worry about bumps, scratches or moisture. It's always ready. One evening I went to a far corner of the property with .223 55 grain V-max rounds in the magazine to clean the raccoons off the feeders. To my surprise a 450 pound Aoudad was there to greet me. Simple swap of magazines to 69 grain Bergers with a well placed shot and it crumpled where it stood.
Anyone suggesting a MSR is not a hunting rifle should take note!

As long as We remember that range is limited for the 5.56/.223! This is a long range hunting forum. Out west we use them over Coyote stands where yotes get inside of 200 yds. I would never use one to hunt mule deer or our coues deer.
Also remember that the AR-15 isn't limited to 5.56/.223.

Would you feel comfortable using a 6.5 Creedmoor at 500 yards on mule or coues deer?

If so, then it would be contradictory to say an AR-15 isn't adequate for those deer.

AR-15 in 6.5 grendel will have the roughly the same energy at 250 as the 6.5 creedmoor at 500. And some people don't take shots over 250.

That being said, I love AR-15 for predators and javelina, and while it could totally work for deer, I do prefer bolt action in a more powerful cartridge than fits in a standard AR-15.

Also remember that the AR-15 isn't limited to 5.56/.223.

Would you feel comfortable using a 6.5 Creedmoor at 500 yards on mule or coues deer?

If so, then it would be contradictory to say an AR-15 isn't adequate for those deer.

AR-15 in 6.5 grendel will have the roughly the same energy at 250 as the 6.5 creedmoor at 500. And some people don't take shots over 250.

That being said, I love AR-15 for predators and javelina, and while it could totally work for deer, I do prefer bolt action in a more powerful cartridge than fits in a standard AR-15.
When most people think about an AR15, they see it in terms of 5.56. I think the OP was speaking in more generic terms. Those other calibers that can use the same platform are real "game" busters! What a hoot to shoot!

When most people think about an AR15, they see it in terms of 5.56. I think the OP was speaking in more generic terms. Those other calibers that can use the same platform are real "game" busters! What a hoot to shoot!
Good point...maybe more people need to think of more than just 5.56/.223 when they think AR-15. 😉

The more people that see value in an AR-15, the better. Especially when it comes to fighting for our rights.

I'm also kinda annoyed by people who say you need X caliber for elk, deer, whatever but they are comfortable shooting at distances in which their preferred cartridge has less energy than the cartridges they disapprove of have at more reasonable distances.

I tend to go for a bit of overkill as far as energy for a particular game animal. But you have to admit lots of rounds will work at 100 yards. And you have to be honest with yourself about energy at different distances.

Hopefully that rambling makes sense.

Good point...maybe more people need to think of more than just 5.56/.223 when they think AR-15. 😉

The more people that see value in an AR-15, the better. Especially when it comes to fighting for our rights.

I'm also kinda annoyed by people who say you need X caliber for elk, deer, whatever but they are comfortable shooting at distances in which their preferred cartridge has less energy than the cartridges they disapprove of have at more reasonable distances.

I tend to go for a bit of overkill as far as energy for a particular game animal. But you have to admit lots of rounds will work at 100 yards. And you have to be honest with yourself about energy at different distances.

Hopefully that rambling makes sense.
No rambling. But I hope the media and nay sayers don't get any ideas about other calibers for an AR15 plarform. We have enough trouble as is without them getting any more dumb ideas! The only thing I will say about taking white tail size game is knowing the range limits and bullet type requirements of the 5.56/.233 for taking game. Personally, if I use my AR15 for hunting white tails (which is rare) it is a near max load with a 69 or 77 grain hunting bullet. Varmints get whatever I happen to have in my pocket! 😉🤪

No rambling. But I hope the media and nay sayers don't get any ideas about other calibers for an AR15 plarform. We have enough trouble as is without them getting any more dumb ideas! The only thing I will say about taking white tail size game is knowing the range limits and bullet type requirements of the 5.56/.233 for taking game. Personally, if I use my AR15 for hunting white tails (which is rare) it is a near max load with a 69 or 77 grain hunting bullet. Varmints get whatever I happen to have in my pocket! 😉🤪
I agree. I've shot more deer with a 300wsm than anything else, so I tend to like overkill.

But I agree...it's about bullet selection and energy at impact. Less so about what the headstamp on the brass says.

I agree. I've shot more deer with a 300wsm than anything else, so I tend to like overkill.

But I agree...it's about bullet selection and energy at impact. Less so about what the headstamp on the brass says.
My "overkill" was always a 300 wby mag... Right up until I had shoulder surgery... Ouch!!! Age catches up with ya in a hurry... Went to an AR in 6.8 spc 24" (130gr psp) and a 5.56 24" (75gr gold dot) for the bulk of my hunting now... I'm now looking at building a decent 6.5 grendel.

Holy mackerel... Nice!

If you look closely you'll see a high shoulder hit that was made by the 140 HPBT 6.5Creed bullet, which dropped him. However, he was very much alive when I approached him. I shot him through the top of his head with a 9mm and it didn't seem to faze him. I gave him another, and another, before he slowly gave up the ghost. That hog was like a tank!

If you look closely you'll see a high shoulder hit that was made by the 140 HPBT 6.5Creed bullet, which dropped him. However, he was very much alive when I approached him. I shot him through the top of his head with a 9mm and it didn't seem to faze him. I gave him another, and another, before he slowly gave up the ghost. That hog was like a tank!
I'm just finishing a 6.5 cm for distance (and coyote/hog) shooting... Never hog hunted but my FIL now has them around his neck of the woods... Maybe I should consider going back to my 300 wby... If my shoulder could take it

I'm just finishing a 6.5 cm for distance (and coyote/hog) shooting... Never hog hunted but my FIL now has them around his neck of the woods... Maybe I should consider going back to my 300 wby... If my shoulder could take it

A 300Wby really isn't necessary. LOL Just put the bullet somewhere between his ear hole and his shoulder (head/neck) and even the .223 should get the job done. A big hog can take body hits from almost anything and still run some distance.

Here in Alberta,

.23 caliber or greater is required for big game hunting. I always thought a MSR in 6.5 Grendel would be a great first hunting rifle for my boys. They could practice on gopher and coyotes with 223 and then when they're 12 (youngest legal age for big game hunting) use the Grendel for their first deer. Have a Tikka 243 compact as well, but the adjustable length of pull and extremely light recoil seemed to be a perfect answer for a deer rifle inside 250 yds. I like my 7RM, but it's overkill.

Unfortunately, our stupid government banned the few non restricted semiauto 'assault style' rifles that were legal in Canada. So, I made the best of things and got a Maple Ridge Renegade straight pull with a 12.5 " barrel in 6.5 Grendel. Is no restricted, and will be awesome for them to carry or use in a tree stand.

It looks like this:

I have a 223 and a 6.5 Grendel for it.

Attachments

• 91E8FFFF-6581-4E05-BB52-425E9E37B747.jpeg
    91E8FFFF-6581-4E05-BB52-425E9E37B747.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 39