First ar build 224 valkyrie long ranger

paulatherton21

Hey guys... im in the beginning stages of getting parts to build my first AR. I bought a 22 inch 7 twist proof research carbon 224 valkyrie barrel, a jp enhanced bolt, a timney calvin elite trigger, aero Precision m4e1 builders set. Magpul prs3 butt stock, and magpul pistol grip... now i have no idea what parts i need to finish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im looking to make this a long range varmint setup as you can tell by parts. Dont wanna buy junk parts to finish build. Thanks guys!

I'll give you my thoughts....
For Butt Stock
1)Buffer tube (If not included with Stock) A Standard Rifle Length should work.
2) Buffer and buffer spring....I don't shoot the .224, but I'd read a bit.....You might want a heavy buffer in it to help slow down the bolt slam, but if you go adjustable gas block, you could probably tune it down enough.....Both these make a big difference in the 6.5 Grendel.

Lower receiver:
1) I'd buy a standard lower parts kit from a REPUTABLE manufacture, (like Aero) to make sure you have all parts needed, and than upgrade individual parts to your tastes or needs....ie-Bolt release, mag release, safety, ect..... You can buy these minus the trigger group since you have that already.
2) might want an accu wedge.....But check, some of the new Aeros have a bolt that tightens to remove play in the receivers.

Barrel/Upper receiver
1)-Does the JP enhanced bolt come with a bolt Carrier? If not, a bolt carrier is needed..... Again, I have bought a few different brands and as long as its quality brand, I haven't noticed a difference......Young Manufacturing national match bolt carrier is what I put in my last build.....They are heavier, and a snugger fit....I won't say it makes it more accurate, but it's a really nice bolt.
2) Charging handle.... Lots of options from standard to expensive. I have both, and really like my BMC Gunfighter in medium.
3)You will need a Gas block and Gas tube for your barrel, Make sure your one of them comes with the roll pin to connect them together. Check your barrel specs for gas tube length.....It's probably rifle length, but check before purchasing. I'd buy a adjustable gas block.....there is a huge price swing on these, but if you want a good adjustable gas block on a budget, check out Wojtek Weaponry. They are cheap and solid, but are more of a set and forget style rather than a finger adjustable between loads style.
4) Muzzle Threaded? Breaks are a total personal preference!

I hope I didn't forget anything....:rolleyes:. I usually buy a upper and lower parts kit for each build, just to make sure I have all of the little pins an bolts to finish it. I usually only add a ambidextrous safety, and sometimes a extended bolt release, to the standard lower parts kit.

I've put more than a few together, and all of them have shot to what I expected from the barrel quality.......I don't get really hung up on brands for the small pieces I just order from a company that I'm sure is quality Mil-Spec and go from there. I think most of the accuracy from an AR comes from the Barrel, Trigger, and a solid stock, so I think you are most of the way there!

Heard a lot of knowledgeable folks that tested thousands and thousands of rounds of different bullet, powder, primer, and brass combinations in the .224V, and ended up being disappointed in the performance of it... Said accuracy and ballistically it wasn't holding up to the hype and claims.

I'm not knocking on it, just giving you something to keep a watch on, so you don't waste too much time and money, if it ends up being a dud. I've been down that road before with fighting a losing battle...Looking back it's like watching a horror movie in slow-motion.

Last edited:
Awesome man thank you so much! The proof barrel i got is a camgas version. Im not super familiar with what that means but its build specifically for the cartridge and its headspaced to a jp enhanced bolt. Proof claims there is no need for adjustable gas block with this camgas technology. But i could definitely get one if itll benefit the rifle. Ever hear of jp silent captured buffer springs? I read they are the way to go. As far as the bolt... i ordered a jp full mass operating system carrier and enhanced bolt

I still could change my mind on the build. I have all the parts ordered but told them not to ship anything until I figure out the rest of the parts i need. Ive read mixed reviews on it as well. But more good than bad. Ive read alot of your stuff on here over the years(mudrunner2005). What caliber would you prefer running?

I don't own any with the JP silent buffers, but I have shot one......It really eliminates the spring noise right by your head. I actually thought the gun had malfunctioned without the common springy noise! Nice, but never justified spending the money for one.......I also have heard this on the .224V, but I have been completely happy with the 6.5 Grendel, so that's what I'd recommend. I'll have to check out the Camgas, sounds interesting.

I'm still on the fence with the 224 Valkyrie?! So much so that I just put together another 223 Wylde 24" Bull stainless AR last month.
The 224V shows promise, but it's hit and miss, pun intended.
Since I already have 6.5 Grendel AR, that I finally got squared away and shooting, I was thinking 224 AR instead, just some food for thought to muddy the water?

I'm watching Johnny's Reloading Bench, at this moment on his testing of the .224 Valkyrie playlist and it's still makes me wonder?! AR's "America's Rifle" are very addicting :D
6.5 or 7 twist? Is it a chamber or throat issue? It's looks like it's mostly a reloader's cartridge to get it to shoot for accuracy well?

I still could change my mind on the build. I have all the parts ordered but told them not to ship anything until I figure out the rest of the parts i need. Ive read mixed reviews on it as well. But more good than bad. Ive read alot of your stuff on here over the years(mudrunner2005). What caliber would you prefer running?
6.5 Grendel is a long-time proven performer... Just saying... :cool:

I'm watching Johnny's Reloading Bench, at this moment on his testing of the .224 Valkyrie playlist and it's still makes me wonder?! AR's "America's Rifle" are very addicting :D
6.5 or 7 twist? Is it a chamber or throat issue? It's looks like it's mostly a reloader's cartridge to get it to shoot for accuracy well?
Chad over at IraqVet8888 is a cartridge nerd like I am, and even he's had issues with all the .224V's they were sent to test, and the ones they built for themselves...And like me, they don't buy cheap parts or build cheap rifles...Including their AR's.

Chad over at IraqVet8888 is a cartridge nerd like I am, and even he's had issues with all the .224V's they were sent to test, and the ones they built for themselves...And like me, they don't buy cheap parts or build cheap rifles...Including their AR's.
I'm not a "cartridge nerd", but I have "cartridge nerd tendencies". I have a fascination with cartridge design and an extensive library!

The bad reviews on the Valkyrie are from barrels with long freebore as they don't shoot factory ammo particularly well. Now if you handload you will find a load for it I'm sure. I have a Bison Armory 24" bbl and have found sub MOA groups using 80 and 88 eld-m's, 90 and 95smk's and also 77 LRX's. Distance to the lands is what makes or breaks accuracy unfortunately with this cartridge and the earlier barrels had just too much freebore to get to the lands and mag feed. I have a longer freebore barrel but have windowed my mags to run up to 2.355" oal. The 80 eld-m's sweet spot is 0.035"-0.045" jump, 88's 0.030"-0.070" jump, 90smk 0.010"-0.020" jump, 95smk 0.010" jump worked well but working on another spot between 0.040"-0.070" that has promise as well. The Barnes shot well at 0.030" jump so I didn't experiment further. H4885 worked very well for the 80 grain and lighter bullets and is very temp stable. Other powders that work well with heavier bullets are 2000-mr, cfe223, H414, and R17 unfortunately these are not temp stable. H4350 will work with the heavies as well but the velocity is lower than the other powders.

I don't have near the knowledge of these other guys. But I will share my experience with the 224 I've put together. After looking around and reading what I could find for information I went with Xcalibur for my barrel, 24"1-6.5 twist. I don't reload. I've shot 60NBT, 75FMJ and 88ELD's in it. Mainly used 75's for breaking in barrel. 60's and 88's both have been easily under MOA. Farthest range time was 215yds with 60's. I built it for coyotes and future long range play, that's why I played more with 60's. Accuracy has never been an issue. Gas on the other hand has been, I do run an adjustable gas block and keep playing with it. I think I've finally got some consistency and confidence. I do use JP silent capture spring system, Geissle 2 stage and Toolcraft BCG. I plan to go suppressed in the very near future, 11 months in on the wait, therefor I'm in the process of building another 224 upper for this purpose. Do the accuracy of my Xcalibur 24" I'm building an Xcalibur 18" 1-6.5 for the suppressor use. Good luck with your build Paul21.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts