First ar-15...what scope?

Canhunter35

So I bought my first ar, 223 barrel, have other long range setups so I don't want to limit myself on range, but wanting to scope it relatively cheap, Doesn't need to have mind blowing optics.
What's everyone use for hunting scopes on their ar type guns?

On another note, what are some good varmint bullets for a 223, can it sling the 60-70 fast enough in an ar to take advantage of the bigger bullet or am I better with 50grainers?

Our old mk12's we used the mk262 77gr otm or more commonly referred to as the SMK. The mk12's used a 18 inch barrel and would be pretty effective (for a 5.56) at some good distances.

My wife's SPR that I build around the same system, has been flawless a little further than 1000y using 73 gr ELD-M

AR-15s can be destructive on scopes; you get the initial recoil and then the bolt carrier group traveling backwards and forwards at lightning speed. On my ARs that I shoot at distance for varmint hunting, I use a 10x super sniper. They also make a 3-9 or a 6x that would be a good choice. The fixed power scopes run $300.00 and they will hold up to the recoil. I like to run heavier bullets in my ARs and run 55gr in my red dot ARs because I can get chep factory ammo.

Unbeatable combination of price, quality & warranty. the Strike Eagle 1-6x24 riflescope with AR-BDC reticle.
I've had my best results with a purposefully built AR for accuracy Geissele match trigger, match grade ammo (77gr SMK - Federal and/or Hornady)

I've run a bushy 1-8 on my AR. My wife has a bushy 1-6. If I was now outfitting now I'd get the vortex 1-10. However, I've shot the 1-6 in matches out to 500 and it has done just fine. You don't need more for general AR use.

I've never had a scope go bad on an AR, not even on a large frame LR308 type.

The mount is critical, I think you want about 1.375-1.500" high rings/mount.

Low power variable scopes are nice for short/medium range. Red dots work well for short range. For medium/long range, a traditional variable power scope works well. I have a 3-15x42 that works very well and was inexpensive. 3-9x42 works pretty well too but not as nice when stretching out past 600 yards. I have a few 4.5-18 scopes, they have less FOV so close shots are not as quick to line up but other than that, they are fine. I have a 6-30x56 that goes a bit fuzzy past 25x and the FOV at 6x makes it pretty much a dedicated long range optic, it is usable at closer ranges but far from ideal unless it's pure target shooting on a bench.

I keep a M&P AR in the truck for hogs and coyotes on the farm. I personally went with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12. Lots of scope for less than $300, and I don't feel bad throwing it in and out of the truck.

The absolute Best Buy right now for an AR is the bushnell 1-8.5. Can be had for around $650 and it's amazing.

Attachments

• 80D179BE-83A5-478E-AAEA-094B62CE120C.jpeg
    80D179BE-83A5-478E-AAEA-094B62CE120C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
A nice 1-6x or maybe a 1-8x is perfect for most AR's I think unless the intended purpose of the AR is LR shooting. A 1-6x gets you out a few hundred yards fairly easily. If money wasn't an issue I'd love to put Vortex's new 1-10x razor on an "all purpose" built AR and call it good.

Anyway, for a budget optic I'd look at Primary Arms LPVO's, Vortex, etc.

The low powers will work, but every time I took one hunting, I wanted for more than 10 power. When you are trying to shoot a doe and cant see the small 1" hardened antler, you will see what I mean. I have switched mostly to using ARs for the last 5 years. I prefer the variable powers in 3.5x15 range. I have several Nightforce scopes in that range, but also use Leopold's, 4.5x14 and have not had one fail. What are you going to hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts