First antelope hunt

midwesthunter

I am putting a group together to go to wyoming 2011. Well if we get drawn. Most have never hunted out west. Those of us who have have been elk in CO and UT. I would like to find out where I can find all info needed to help make this a sucsessful hunt. Where can I find a list of public hunting spots, easiest draw units? This will be a rifle hunt so what kind of gear should we need? Will probably camp in a hotel. Thanks

i put in for this years hunt. i got most of my info from the wyoming dnr site. you have to go through the whole site to pick out all the good info but it's all there. draw odds, fee's, reg's. a link to the hunter management area's (hma) and walk in hunting. eastmans hunting jurnal (march/april) has a lot of info but you have to get the subscription (it's a bonus section) i also called the game warden in the area i planed to put in for. he was very nice. i think you can get all the doe tags you want. i think it would be worth the trip just for doe's. if we don't get our buck tag's we will be going any way just for doe's . hope this helps. just make up your mind that your going and make it happen!

Here is how I approach antelope hunting: bring light weight hunting boots to move fast when out of view; small binoculars to scan when away from the truck; stay out of view at the 1000 yard + range, what they don't see they don't think is there; lead buck will see your head between the sagbrush at 600 yards; watch the cactus when crawling; bring a plastic as in Cabela's roll up game sled for retrieve in cactus/sagebrush, antelope hide is thin; bring large coolers/ice, roll up card table and cutting board; rough bone out (backstrap, legs off pelvis/shoulders at least) and pack on ice, they will taste better; 5 gallon water jugs for cleaning; good paper towels like blue shop towels for picking hair off, again - better taste. Antelope can really suck or be best taste, get the hide off and cool.

Best of luck and fun. I like antelope hunting the best of all. Drive til you spot them, figure out a foot approach, sneak and shoot. You may wind up with a long shot but many are in the 100 to 200 yard range, some 50. I like them standing still and me lying prone, I hate hitting them in the guts running which I have done a couple of times, really really stinky.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts