First 7mmSTW and Accubond Long Range Bullets

I remember back when the STW came out, I used to shoot with Layne Simpson with Shooting Times magazine in USPSA competition and I told Layne how much money that he made me spend on the STW. Layne gave me some loads for it and the STW is just a hammer. I sold my STW that Dave Tooley built for me and still regret letting that one get away. I never tried heavies in it, the biggest was 150 Scirocco's and they did not group that well, but they did hammer a 500 lb black bear back hear in NC.

I remember back when the STW came out, I used to shoot with Layne Simpson with Shooting Times magazine in USPSA competition and I told Layne how much money that he made me spend on the STW. Layne gave me some loads for it and the STW is just a hammer. I sold my STW that Dave Tooley built for me and still regret letting that one get away. I never tried heavies in it, the biggest was 150 Scirocco's and they did not group that well, but they did hammer a 500 lb black bear back hear in NC.
I assume you're referring to the 140gr NBT loads from Layne Simpson???

In my experience hand-loading sciroccos, I found they like plenty of jump. I loaded SS for three different .270WSMs and all 3 of them shot best between .060 and .100 off the lands. I tried jamming and the results were abysmal.

Yes , Nosler Ballistic Tips. If you know that you are going to shoot distance for sure and no chance at 100 yds and in, the NBT can't handle the speed up close or just the speed that the STW can produce.

I haven't had the same experience as the ABLR bashers. I tried 150, 168, & 175's in my stock Remington KS STW. All have shot well. My current load of 168's and IMR 7977 is a sub 1/2 moa gun. The 150's in my Sons 5-1/4 lb 270 also shoot under 1/2".

With it's 24" barrel my STW is kinda on the slow side: I get 3125fps with the 168's and 3200fps with the 160 ABs but they are interchangeable pad 600 yds.

I had a custom reamer ground with zero freebore to shoot the 140g Nosler C/T bullets, IMR 7828, fed 215's. Deer die, near and far.

I cannot say as to 7mm ABLR's yet, but so far have used the 130gr &142gr in a 6.5x47 and a 264WM. Also the 210gr in 300WM.
I cannot fault the performance, either accuracy or terminal performance. The 130gr fired from the 6.5x47 @ 1321yards still expanded and dropped a very nice Fallow buck. Bullet was found under the hide.
The 142gr was the same out of my 264 and was a little longer yardage with complete pass through.
Haven't recovered a 210gr yet, longest shot has only been 400mtr or so.
Still developing loads for this new rig.

The STW should be finished in a week or so, the trigger is awful, so waiting for a Timney Calvin Elite to show up

Cheers.

Well here I go resurrecting my old thread so take it easy on me. Its been over 4 years since I finished this build, but I finally got out to hunt with my 7STW between Christmas and New Years, 2019. I had two bucks on my hit list and I got a shot at one of them just before sunset on NYE. He was a decent sized buck by GA standards with some character to his headgear. He presented a perfect quartering away shot between 40-50 yards. The load I used was actually a test load, Danzac coated 140gr Accubond over 83gr 7828 out of a 26" 4-groove 9-twist Brux. I've never chronographed it so not sure where we're at with that, but I'm pretty sure 3600+ fps. Well, I put it behind his shoulder and let the Accubond sail. I expected bang-flop but what I got was the fastest 35 yard sprint I've ever witnessed, culminating in a broken character tine courtesy 5" sweetgum tree. I was shocked that he even took the first step. Not 1 drop of blood...no exit wound. Felt the jacket just under the hide on the opposite side. Chest was a little squishy but other than that, only one little 7mm entrance hole. I guess I finally proved to myself what I already knew but was always kinda hard to believe. I'm careful about how I talk about kinetic energy, but fwiw, over 4000 foot-pounds...if ever there was proof that bullet energy does not knock deer down, this must be it, right??? Unreal. Never again. Its ok, just another science project. Hate that he got busted up bc that rack was the only reason I squeezed. Still only has 25 rounds down the tube. Not real fond of the extra effort going with moly or Danzac. Guess change is a coming. Thinking Hammer-time.
I had a similar experience with 140 Accubonds in my STW but I never recovered any of the does I shot with them. I believe that the accubond is not strong enough to handle those velocities, I think my muzzle velocity was in the neighborhood of 3400 fps, and they shot 1/4" at 100 yards. All of the does we shot with it probably ranged from 75 to 175 yards, and I think we lost 3 or 4. If the 140 accubond fails, I can't imagine how bad the 140 BT would be inside of 200 yards. I think the 160 AB would probably be much better in the STW, and if you want something faster and flatter, go with a Scirocco or a Hammer

I would be curious about the 140's accuracy in something with 1-9 or greater twist. I had an accumark rebarreled to stw to 1-8.5 to make sure heavies were fine and I shot some 140's I had to break in and accuracy wasn't very good at all. 160's and 175's shoots lights out.

If your not worried about meat loss and into speed depending on the part of the country your in 140's will kill for sure just might be messy. Our little texas whitetails (central texas that is) aren't very hard to kill. I didn't build the stw for them anyway - more like west texas mulies, audad and larger exotic game.

I would be curious about the 140's accuracy in something with 1-9 or greater twist. I had an accumark rebarreled to stw to 1-8.5 to make sure heavies were fine and I shot some 140's I had to break in and accuracy wasn't very good at all. 160's and 175's shoots lights out.

If your not worried about meat loss and into speed depending on the part of the country your in 140's will kill for sure just might be messy. Our little texas whitetails (central texas that is) aren't very hard to kill. I didn't build the stw for them anyway - more like west texas mulies, audad and larger exotic game.
I disagree from my experience. I had a 9 twist, and the 140s shot excellent groups but they were not good on our small GA deer inside of 200 yards. I killed 3 hogs at 350 yds and they worked great

140 AB N570 with 1-8" in mine was a one holer

Gotcha - that was just my experience, something i was sharing but that was shooting factory ammo as well. Wasn't an issue because i didn't built it to shoot light bullets i wanted heavies.

I would definitely be concerned in my area about smaller bullets holding up to these velocities and tearing up stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.