First 7mmSTW and Accubond Long Range Bullets

troupe

I loaded 120 Barnes but never shot anything with it. It was 3720 fps.

troupe

I remember back when the STW came out, I used to shoot with Layne Simpson with Shooting Times magazine in USPSA competition and I told Layne how much money that he made me spend on the STW. Layne gave me some loads for it and the STW is just a hammer. I sold my STW that Dave Tooley built for me and still regret letting that one get away. I never tried heavies in it, the biggest was 150 Scirocco's and they did not group that well, but they did hammer a 500 lb black bear back hear in NC.

drakehammer

I remember back when the STW came out, I used to shoot with Layne Simpson with Shooting Times magazine in USPSA competition and I told Layne how much money that he made me spend on the STW. Layne gave me some loads for it and the STW is just a hammer. I sold my STW that Dave Tooley built for me and still regret letting that one get away. I never tried heavies in it, the biggest was 150 Scirocco's and they did not group that well, but they did hammer a 500 lb black bear back hear in NC.
I assume you're referring to the 140gr NBT loads from Layne Simpson???

In my experience hand-loading sciroccos, I found they like plenty of jump. I loaded SS for three different .270WSMs and all 3 of them shot best between .060 and .100 off the lands. I tried jamming and the results were abysmal.

troupe

Yes , Nosler Ballistic Tips. If you know that you are going to shoot distance for sure and no chance at 100 yds and in, the NBT can't handle the speed up close or just the speed that the STW can produce.

mmacfive

I haven’t had the same experience as the ABLR bashers. I tried 150, 168, & 175’s in my stock Remington KS STW. All have shot well. My current load of 168’s and IMR 7977 is a sub 1/2 moa gun. The 150’s in my Sons 5-1/4 lb 270 also shoot under 1/2”.

With it’s 24” barrel my STW is kinda on the slow side: I get 3125fps with the 168’s and 3200fps with the 160 ABs but they are interchangeable pad 600 yds.

keithcandler

I had a custom reamer ground with zero freebore to shoot the 140g Nosler C/T bullets, IMR 7828, fed 215's. Deer die, near and far.

MagnumManiac

I cannot say as to 7mm ABLR’s yet, but so far have used the 130gr &142gr in a 6.5x47 and a 264WM. Also the 210gr in 300WM.
I cannot fault the performance, either accuracy or terminal performance. The 130gr fired from the 6.5x47 @ 1321yards still expanded and dropped a very nice Fallow buck. Bullet was found under the hide.
The 142gr was the same out of my 264 and was a little longer yardage with complete pass through.
Haven’t recovered a 210gr yet, longest shot has only been 400mtr or so.
Still developing loads for this new rig.

The STW should be finished in a week or so, the trigger is awful, so waiting for a Timney Calvin Elite to show up

Cheers.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce