First 1500 yard hit + a 870 yard dog

coych

Today I amazed myself by hitting my first target at 1500 yards, not only once but 5 times in a row. After months of tinkering I finally got the load dialed in just right for my rifle. Granted its a large target but I am extremely new to this. I fired 6 shots with my Savage 111 LRH in 338 Lapua while my shooting partner shot 8 out of his 110 BA hitting the target 4 times at 1500 yards. For a stock rifle and a couple amateurs I am amazed at what these factory rifles can do at such extreme ranges.
As if the day could not possibly get any better, we spotted a lone coyote out in the field on our way out of the hills and got set up. we ranged her at 870 yards, doped the scope and that 300gr. Berger Tactical OTM made a nice little hole right through her head. I realize luck had the biggest part of that shot but I cannot help but be ecstatic with the results. after all, 6 months ago I thought 300 yards was a long shot!

:)

Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua
Nightforce NXS 8x32x56
300 Gr. Berger Tactical OTM
89.5 Gr. Retumbo
2670 fps
3.750" OACL

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 26
Great picture and story. I hope you stay with it. The sport has really moved in my lifetime, interesting to think about how far you young guys may push it someday.

Thanks for your support! I feel like something needs to break me away from this sport because I am so addicted it's starting to hurt my checkbook. The wind was phenomenal, at 1500 yards we were holding only 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. on the dog I didn't correct for wind at all and that worked out well. Extremely lucky with the absence of wind since it seems like the wind never stops here in Montana

It gets more addictive trust me!!!:D The farther you shoot the more you want to shoot farther. I started out in the early 90s shooting 300-400 yards with 22-250s , went to 6.5x284s and thought 600 yards was ELR!:) Next was comps at 1000 yard F-class. Then a few custom builds and 1 wife later, went to 1 mile with 284 shehane. Few more years and a few dozen builds later were shooting 338 lapua at rocks at 2300 yards, and building a 375 cheytec to go farther!!!! Enjoy yourself and keep up the good shooting!!!gun)

Fell free to use it anytime you want!:D Sad but true. She didnt mind spend money on shoes , cloths,gold ear rings,and diamonds but i build a few custom rifles and you would think i started WW3.:rolleyes: This was from a women that had her own custom built walk-in shoe closet! When we divorced , i counted over 300 pair of shoes in that closet! I took out the shelfs and made it into a reloading room!!!gun)

coych, glad you liked it! I really would like to have a place like you guys in Montana have! I have to drive 85 miles to get to a 360 acre flat cornfield that I shoot 600-1800 yards on! I have a place that I can shoot 1600- 2300 yards but only at rocks. To be able to drive to the target at 1500 yards would be great! Don't worry about the size of your target at long range. You can always spray paint a smaller circle on your target or just hang you up a 15in target at 1500 yards. This weekend im going to get out the 338 lapua and the vecter 4 and shoot some rocks at 1600-2200 yards. Have fun shooting , keep us up to date on your shooting. Enjoyed the photos!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.