Firing Pins

I think the solution is a completely new bolt design with a device to push the firing pin back as soon as it strikes the anvil.
Gary,

Electronic ignition may solve that problem. But, it introduces some new challenges as well.

-- richard

I am not a proponent of changing anything that is working perfect and to change a firing pin
just to change would be a mistake and could cause a new set of problems.

I recommend change when change is an improvement and on many rifles factory springs are
one of the problems because they are to big and when compressed the cork screw down
the firing pin and drag on the bolt body slowing the lock time and also making lock time
inconsistent.

Decreased lock time is nessary if the weapon has a heavy firing system. If it is working well
faster lock time does not have much if any effect on a seasoned shooter with good shooting
skills. But on a new shooter, slow lock times only add to his frustration.

Fitted with a "New" spring that is well designed and improves the function of the weapon can
help even the most experienced shooter because it can/will improve the ignition consistency
which will in turn improves SDs and accuracy.

It is easy to tell if you can benefit from a spring change by simply unscrewing the cocking piece
and firing pin and seeing if it drags going in or out of the bolt body.

J E CUSTOM

the common wire wound coil spring is 18th century technology. Sure we've had tons of upgrades in style and materials over the years, but it still is old. It's always been a comprimise, and cannot be setup in a precision mode. There are at least two setups that will move the firing pin in a fraction of the time, and with great precision. Of course the implementation of something better will mean that the sacred cows will need to design new triggers and bolts. The electronic setup is not new, and has been done in Europe and the USA. The Germans were doing a lot of work with some sort of an electronic primer back in the sixties, and used a 9 volt battery (all military stuff). The trigger was nothing but a switch. Then there was the CO2 setup that was lightening fast with a completely controlled firing pin mass (used a regenerative pneumatic system to load both sides of the firing pin in travel). I suppose that down the road somebody will develope a firing system that uses thermo magnetics to push the pin. There's also another way, but once again the trigger group becomes suspect.
gary

These types of threads make me chuckle and if I missed it I am sorry but the biggest issue and most people do not even think of this is------Pin Dragging on the Bolt Shroud. If the firing pin does not hit the primer exactly the same every time (also means seating primers exactly the same because energy from the pin strike cannot be moving the primer forward) then you are peeing into the wind. You may be able to brag to your buddies about the new pin but in fact you are no better off than before maybe worse!!

Something I find interesting is that quite a few folks in my area are installing lighter springs while keeping the original pins. The average poundage has gone down by 4 lbs. However they are very good shots and the debate might be valid for the average enthuiast. I feel that It is a can of worms to mess with pins and springs. From what I have seen the possibility of increased accuracy will not be measurable, while the probability that the decreased accuracy will be very measurable. I do not think that the extra vibration from high energy pins is widely recognized or understood. all of the energy the pin and spring generate absolutely has to go somewhere.

These types of threads make me chuckle and if I missed it I am sorry but the biggest issue and most people do not even think of this is------Pin Dragging on the Bolt Shroud. If the firing pin does not hit the primer exactly the same every time (also means seating primers exactly the same because energy from the pin strike cannot be moving the primer forward) then you are peeing into the wind. You may be able to brag to your buddies about the new pin but in fact you are no better off than before maybe worse!!

Amen.

Chuckles addressed:

DSC_0034-1.jpg

Chad---Very Nice! I have some that were fixed by my Smith as well as one that was made from one off as a example to show his students..

Never forget the small details!!

This started out as a harmless question about pin sizes that turned to a mess of opinions, which I understand is the reason for this forum. There is no braggin to friends there is no saying that the pin will work better or worse (I really haven't seen anything substantial that lends to the statement). This is one machinist learning the wonderful world of gunsmithing and looking into the possibilities of taking weight off the rifle. Have made a titanium scope base...titanium bipod base...titanium rings....hell i would look into making a titanium action if i could afford it...lol Anyway i do thank all of you for your comments and will try my firing pin and go back to the original if it doesn't work out. I have way too much fun in the machine shop and am enjoying learning this trade.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.