firing pin too short

harfman99

hello

I am building a 6.5-300wsm on a savage short action. I ordered a magnum bolt face and after assembely I have found that the firing pin is not long enough to strike the primer. Is there a differance in a wsm bolt face and a magnum bolt face? Or is there a different firing pin that I need to get and where can I find the correct parts? I called midway and they did not stock either part.

Thanks

Chris

You need a late model short action magnum firing pin. You should be able to get one direct from Savage.

you know you can adjust firing pin on Savage... I had firing pin to long puncturing primers on LRPV, there is a firing pin stop nut which you can adjust,

10-27-08019copy.jpg

so play with it... here is good link with pictures etc... Doug's Message Boards - The 10ML-II Bolt

Last edited:
The older Savage firing pins had a step on them. The FP hole on the newer ones is the small diameter all the way back. Take everything apart and stick the FP into the bolt head and see if it protrudes out the front. I am guessing the larger part of the FP is stopping it from going all the way through. You can either turn the FP down, order a new one, or drill the hole larger to accommodate the step. If this is your problem.

Denny

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.