Firing pin diameter for hunting application

TriggerTime426

I'm planning on ordering a ptg bolt for a remington 700 6.5-06 and have to decide between the small or large diameter...is there any advantages using small for a large primer hunting rifle round. Like say if you wanted to push load pressures.

If there is a choice, I always choose the small firing pin. Only concern with this is the protrusion, .050" is about max and I try for a .045" protrusion. This eliminates any possibility of a pierced primer.
It's lighter and has a faster lock time.

Cheers.

So can u run higher pressures with a small fp, I can't imagine you shed much weight going from .075 to .062...would the larger have less chance of having a non fire

No, you can't run higher pressures, what happens is that the smaller indent is less likely to pierce IF you have an over pressure situation.
Generally, the ENTIRE firing pin is smaller, or even ribbed, to lighten it because it requires less inertia to hit with the same energy, This is a modification I do on certain firing pin assemblies.

Cheers.

If you are asking two questions then here is my answer.
Large or small firing pin?
I cannot shed any light, is the weight saving noticeable? Will the lock time improve your accuracy to a noticeable degree hunting?

If you are asking will a case small primer type case be an advantage?

It would allow you to run a hotter load. That's what they say.
Is the gain noticeable for a hunting load. I don't have enough experience to say but it just raises all the comments regarding game not being able to tell the difference in 100fps,
If you want to screw every bit out of a cartridge find a variant with a small primer pocket, Ackley Improve it and use a long barrel to get the most of that given cartridge.
Then, find the next one up and reconsider it all over.
Decisions, Decisions,
I settled on. .280ai btw, 26" barrel and it's just built on a Tikka,

the PTG bolt with a smaller firing pin should not have any effect on the load or pushing it a little more. It's a mechanical function the load is in the cartridge.
I did not realise they offer a small firing pin option in the bolt with a .30-06 bolt face.

From what I have read and been told is that some people but cases with a small rifle primer pocket in a case that would usually have a large rifle primer pocket from its original design because that's how it was.

Then I think .308 Palma brass was the first offering with a small rifle primer in a case that was designed with a large rifle primer pocket, because that was considered normal.

Palma match is some long range match originating using .308, I would only quote Google if o was to elaborate as I don't recall the details.

Now, you can buy .308Palma srp brass from Lapis, that's one off the shelf option. There are others and possibly other brands.

The reason they opt for a small rifle primer in the bigger cases that traditionally used LRP is said to be it gets more consistent charge in the powder column on firing. This improves consistency in the combustion leading to more consistency in velocity of individual shots.

i expect there is no advantage for the hunter to go to that degree or expense.

it seems others are advising the small diameter firing pin may cause unintended piercing of primers and that could result in hot gases escaping from the bolt area. On the range with glasses on that's bad at best, in the field it could be worse.

i have a few Tikka, they are very modular in most things are interchangeable and I'm thinking the .223 bolt face versions will use the same firing pin as the magnum calibres.

kerp it simple with the firing pin and stick with the large.

rereaf both of my posts or pm me if you want something cleared up. Of you are asking what I think you are the difference in firing pins may make difference for your purpose.

SOurcing special cases for this build if it's a hunting rifle is probably not necessary. I'll bet the 6.5-06 will be plenty fast enough with the right load.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.