Fireforming

I don't use any filler that becomes sticky when heated…this is your issue.
I have tried many substances as filler, the best has been Semolina/Cream of Wheat, unlike cornmeal, which is fine flour, COW is round balls and does not get sticky unless wetted and boiled. The other substance is foam curtain backer, but this is for use with bullets, which I only used in my Nitro Express rounds with pistol powder and my 45-120 with black powder.
I also only ever used pistol or shotgun powder, even fast rifle powders are not ideal unless bullets are used…the pressure doesn't rise quick enough without a bullet going down the bore.

Cheers.

Didn't know that corn meal got sticky. Thanks for that bit of info. How about cream of wheat, does it get sticky? I think that I was using pistol powder but that's been 5 or more years ago and MANY prescriptions, but I'm almost fully back now. Ya'll look out!!!!! Here comes the original "Hay Ya'll watch this".!!!!!

Barehandlineman11, what all is involved with hydroforming? Would I have to buy a bunch of equipment. With the cost and availability of supplies buying what I need to hydroform may be the cheepest way to go. Let me know please.
Paul
Send couple pieces Of brass too whidden and theyll make a die. Has a plunger on top. You fill case with water and strike with hammer.

What kind of money is it, is it messy and how clean of shoulders does it form? What size hammer and how hard. I ask because I've had both shoulders repaired and the Left one finally replaced. Would it be feasible to build an apparatus to do the impact maybe cocked by a gear with a gear reduction set?

What kind of money is it, is it messy and how clean of shoulders does it form? What size hammer and how hard. I ask because I've had both shoulders repaired and the Left one finally replaced. Would it be feasible to build an apparatus to do the impact maybe cocked by a gear with a gear reduction set?
Here's John's video.

He built my first custom dies that included a hydraulic forming die.

On my latest build, I had my GS build all of the dies I have all the reamers. For the hydraulic forming die, I used,

Newlon forming die.jpg

Whiddeen hydraulic form die plunger set-up.jpg

Hydraulic forming die.jpg

1685505183185.png

L-R, virgin .338 NM Lapua, after running through the hydraulic and forming dies, after fire-forming of the chamber.