FIREFORMING - The Fred Zeglin method

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
LOL. I did that with COW into a 50 gallon can and then the tractor bucket. One of the neighbors was none too happy!
Cornmeal & kapok stuffing, fired into an old, wetted, rolled up carpet inside my tool shed. Neighbor can't hear it.

I fire formed with play dough once.
half full case of reloader 15 and a play dough cap. 30-338 lapua improved.
It went from 1/4 moa to 2 moa.
I'll never try play dough again.

Fouls the bore ? its soap with a ball of explosive behind it, I've done hundreds and never had any "Fouling "
I with you! I was thinking too "It's just soap"!

Punishment-Soap-Worst-Punishment.gif

I guess I'm old school and don't believe in putting anything in a firearm except bullets and powder so I fireform using a medium powder charge listed for the cartridge. I form all of my wildcats this way, especially those that wont head space and If properly loaded get very good accuracy and velocity with perfectly formed cases. (I don't want to have to fire form them twice to get the full case capacity of the new case).

These fireform loads can be hunted with and fireformed at the same time. Case stretch is also held to a very minimum. (Less than .004 to .006 thousandths). I feel that If accuracy and velocity are good enough to hunt with, there is no wasted/shortened barrel life. Example: fireform loads for my 30 Texan using 180 grain bullets had a velocity of 3161 ft/sec and group size was just over 1/2 MOA (.534 5 shot) so I will be hunting while fireforming, and getting use as this process is taking place.

There are many ways of fireforming as seen buy the number of ways posted. This is just another and my preferred method. I just don't like corn meal or cream of Wheat in my rifles, just like I don't like gun powder in my cornbread or cream of wheat. Ha Ha.

J E CUSTOM

With Fred's method there is no case stretching on a belted or rimmed case and none on a rimless case if the false shoulder method is used.

I've been using cornmeal as a filler in cast loads for 50 years. powder>wad>cornmeal>bullet.

Works great, does no bore damage and smells good too.

I guess I'm old school and don't believe in putting anything in a firearm except bullets and powder so I fireform using a medium powder charge listed for the cartridge. I form all of my wildcats this way, especially those that wont head space and If properly loaded get very good accuracy and velocity with perfectly formed cases. (I don't want to have to fire form them twice to get the full case capacity of the new case).

These fireform loads can be hunted with and fireformed at the same time. Case stretch is also held to a very minimum. (Less than .004 to .006 thousandths). I feel that If accuracy and velocity are good enough to hunt with, there is no wasted/shortened barrel life. Example: fireform loads for my 30 Texan using 180 grain bullets had a velocity of 3161 ft/sec and group size was just over 1/2 MOA (.534 5 shot) so I will be hunting while fireforming, and getting use as this process is taking place.

There are many ways of fireforming as seen buy the number of ways posted. This is just another and my preferred method. I just don't like corn meal or cream of Wheat in my rifles, just like I don't like gun powder in my cornbread or cream of wheat. Ha Ha.

J E CUSTOM
I'm gonna have to try it your way, J.E.
My last outing fire forming wasn't as successful as I last remember.
I scratched around on the internet and found what looks to be a good fire forming load for the .223AI
I should'a learn't from ya when I first asked. ;-}

I'm gonna have to try it your way, J.E.
My last outing fire forming wasn't as successful as I last remember.
I scratched around on the internet and found what looks to be a good fire forming load for the .223AI
I should'a learn't from ya when I first asked. ;-}

For the AI cases, I just fire the standard loading for that cartridge. If the AI is done right that Is all that It takes, The fact that the chamber has more volume lowers the pressure when fired and gives you a very well fireformed case with Zero hassle.

I shoot standard 223 Ammo in my 223 AI while varmint hunting to form the cases for later loading to get the 223 AI loads on Steroids'. I found that low pressure fire forming required several firings to get well formed cases. This burned up more components and resulted in more barrel wear to get to the point of full pressure loaded ammo. (2 to 3 shots in many cases).

Belted cases and AI cases are the easiest and shouldn't require any extra work, as long the factory loads are not excessive. Wild cats that use the shoulder require special forming before they can be fireformed in order to control the head space. I also prefer not to seat the bullet against the lands because the pressures can be unpredictable.

Again, It is just the way I like to fireform and is not the only way, it's just My way.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.