fireforming nickel brass

malcarjeb

I have a 280AI and use it just for hunting. I was wondering if nickle brass would fireform ok? I know its not the best brass but they sure look good. thanks

when my gunsmith built my 280ai he recomended winchester nickled brass.
that all i've used and have not looked back.

what's the good news is that nosler had released facory loaded ammo and casings. no more wearing out the barrel just to make brass:)

I stay away from nickel brass because many others say it will excessively wear out reloading dies. Its purty, but pure brass works just as well, if not better.

I have a custom .280 (not improved) that I have been shooting for several years. We have never used anything but standard brass. Rem.- Win. I bought a 100 rounds of nickel back at the first of this year and have been shooting with these and I can't seem to tell any difference. I don't know about the excessive wear on reloading dies.

Use the nickel cases and never look back. Before you would ware out a loading die using nickel verses brass cases you will have shot out quite a few barrels. Now days dies are cheaper than cases.

just another comment: the loading tool i use is the collet die from lee.
it kinda squeezes the neck down by mashing it against a mandrel.
the builder of the rifle recommended it, so that's what i use, it works and that's okay

I don't use nickel, think about it, you have a layer of soft brass between 2 layers of harder, much more brittle nickel, that nickel is harder than your rifles chamber or your dies. but thin enough you can bend it while sizing. after bending it a few times it starts to crack, then flakes off. I don't want nickel steel flakes in my chambers or dies.
When I first had my 25wssm built, the only way to get brass was buy win. supreme ammo and shoot it. the 3rd loading I started seeing the nickel flake off around the neck/shoulder juction. I trashed it and will not use it again.
its pretty and its durable if you may carry it for years, but not good for reloading.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.