Fired Brass Can't be Re-Sized

The issue is that you're using loads that are too hot for a gas gun.

The cartridges aren't being stripped off of the mag because the bolt carrier is moving faster than the mag spring can push the ammo up in to position.

I don't know what load data you are using but your 178 grain ELD-X is about 2.5 grains higher than Hornady recommends for a gas gun.

Send 2 of your fored cases to Lee and for well under $80, you will get dies made for your larger chamber. The last couple of times I did this, I got the custom does back in u der 3 weeks.
That's what I'm thinking. A custom body die by sending some fired brass.
I had around 50 spent .308 brass that I fired through an older Savage (Valmet made) .308 / 12 ga combo gun. I can not resize that brass in a Redding die. Won't work. It's useless in my 700 5R .308. I threw it all away and started fresh.

To the point: All cases except for the Hornady case will not go through my resizing dies. Even with the Hornady I really had to stand on the lever to get them sized. When I measured the fired cases, all dimensions were around a full .01" larger than factory new. A full hundredth. No way they are going through a die. Yes, I used multiple dies; Redding FL, Redding Type S, Redding Shoulder Bump, Forster FL, and Forster Bushing Bump. Not happening.
Neither bigger die, custom die, nor smaller die, will undo all the bad things about cases expanding so much.

I dont honestly think that there is all that much of an issue with the cases expanding as much as they have. Im not the argumentative type (okay maybe I am) but with all of the wildcat fire forming I've see and read about on this and other forums displaces much more than what we are talking about here. Get a Lee custom die and roll on I say.

Man, I've used lake city brass that I'm sure was fired in a Machine gun, I know they have "sloppy" chambers. I used imperial sizing wax and it works. It's hard, but it goes, I usually do it in thirds, push it in a third , pull it out, then in, out, then all the way in. I've tried sizing with the spray lubes including 1shot and that IS pretty much impossible ! So my question is, what LUBE are you using?

And to answer your BOLD question. In my opinion, yes I think it's a loose"er" chamber.

Yes but with a supressor and being a semi auto you have 2 additional variables. A chamber cast would eliminate those other variables. Fwiw most AR10's really need an adjustable gas block. It hard to get multiple loads to cycle properly without one.
Cycling is really not the issue here. It cycled dozens of loads. All ran fine except the Federal GMM. It was underpowered but did cycle suppressed. The rifle has a two position gas selector, Unsuppressed and Suppressed.

Last edited:
Man, I've used lake city brass that I'm sure was fired in a Machine gun, I know they have "sloppy" chambers. I used imperial sizing wax and it works. It's hard, but it goes, I usually do it in thirds, push it in a third , pull it out, then in, out, then all the way in. I've tried sizing with the spray lubes including 1shot and that IS pretty much impossible ! So my question is, what LUBE are you using?

And to answer your BOLD question. In my opinion, yes I think it's a loose"er" chamber.
I used Imperial Sizing wax and the Forster Oil. It's not the lube. As I said in my OP, I've been doing this a long time.

The issue is that you're using loads that are too hot for a gas gun.

The cartridges aren't being stripped off of the mag because the bolt carrier is moving faster than the mag spring can push the ammo up in to position.

I don't know what load data you are using but your 178 grain ELD-X is about 2.5 grains higher than Hornady recommends for a gas gun.
I disagree. The only ammo that did not function was the Federal GMM 175SMK factory load. It only chronographed at 2400 fps. A full 100 fps less than my hand loaded 175 SMK's. All my loads functioned fine.

Also, the factory Hornady Black (ammo made for gas guns) with 168 AMAX bullets measured around 2620 fps, the same as my 168 grain handholds. So, I would say my loads are in the ballpark of factory ammo.

The weaker Federal factory ammo is the only one that would not function (except suppressed). I get my data from multiple reloading manuals depending on the bullet being loaded. I also cross reference with the Lyman 50th addition and Hodgdon online data. As I said in the OP, nothing was anywhere near max.

Last edited:
I dont honestly think that there is all that much of an issue with the cases expanding as much as they have. Im not the argumentative type (okay maybe I am) but with all of the wildcat fire forming I've see and read about on this and other forums displaces much more than what we are talking about here. Get a Lee custom die and roll on I say.
A custom die may be the answer or, a new barrel with a proper chamber or, leave the brass laying on the ground.

I will let you know what the factory says if I can get a hold of a human.

Just for the record, if I were still in the military and if I were issued this rifle and an unlimited source of premium ammo such as Black Hills, etc.

I would be perfectly happy.

But, I am not and I am not happy. I have bought very little factory ammo in the last 20 years. Reloading is so much cheaper and I have found few factory loads that can approach my hand loads in terms of accuracy.

Just for the record, if I were still in the military and if I were issued this rifle and an unlimited source of premium ammo such as Black Hills, etc.

I would be perfectly happy.

But, I am not and I am not happy. I have bought very little factory ammo in the last 20 years. Reloading is so much cheaper and I have found few factory loads that can approach my hand loads in terms of accuracy.
Dont let the keyboard Warrior know it alls put you off. I look forward to hearing what the manufacturer has to say. No way should u have to put up with a gun that is not in spec. If the chamber is out of spec I hope they make it right with no arguements.

I wasn't doubting your experience or knowledge. I was just merely giving an example of my experiences and what did/didn't work for me. Hopefully the manufacturer can give an explanation can get you straightened out, but it seems like this day and age it's few and far between that will stand behind a product. Especially the real big name manufacturers.

I used Imperial Sizing wax and the Forster Oil. It's not the lube. As I said in my OP, I've been doing this a long time.