Fire (heat) cracking.

Lol. All good advice gents! Thank you! Not being a gunsmith, not sure what is an issue and what isn't. I am going to seat the bullets 10 thousandths longer and see if the groups tighten up

so when I scoped the barrel. I found a couple areas that looked like this..... I took a photo, then cleaned the barrel. i cant be positive, but I think the pitting was under this gunk...... any ideas on what that could have been? never seen this before.. some sort of residue i guess...

Attachments

• creed.jpg
    creed.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 143
6.5 Creeds should be running H4350/RL16 or slower powders and 130/140's and have 2K barrel life at least. Clean the carbon ring a little(lots of threads on that-use an abrasive). Pitting will occur if you leave heavy fowling in the barrel along with some "mystery" component that gets underneath the fowling and rusts (or some other form of oxidation) and eats the underlying barrel. Not a big problem unless it is on the lands, then it will tear into the jacket....
It means your cleaning regimen needs to up its game. AKA fire your gun maid or hire a new one.

Would a " more expensive" bore scope given me a different look or opinion about that damage?????

Yes it's right at the lead edge of the throat. Thx for your input. Also found some pitting further down the barrel.

yea, also noticed the start of a carbon ring. Need to get after that too!
After your regular cleaning regimen hit it with some JB Bore bright you might be surprised

so when I scoped the barrel. I found a couple areas that looked like this..... I took a photo, then cleaned the barrel. i cant be positive, but I think the pitting was under this gunk...... any ideas on what that could have been? never seen this before.. some sort of residue i guess...
Rust

After your regular cleaning regimen hit it with some JB Bore bright you might be surprised
Follow this advice ^^^.
There should be a first rule of Borescope, "Do not Panic".
Most likely I cannot solve your inconsistency issues, but if I see changes in performance, the first tool I grab is the magnetospeed and verify numbers.

Ran a scope thru my 6.5 creed and found more heat cracking (checking) than I would have thought with 500 rounds or so. How much is too much. Accuracy becoming inconsistent. Use Reloder 17. Thx, pete
I have a pre 64 Winchester 30-06 made in the 1920s I think. A friend ran a scope through it and said this looks terrible! Went to the range and shot at 50 yards with open sights. Shot a 5 shot group I could cover with quarter. It's worn out when it won't shoot, not when it looks ugly.

Also, RL 17 is a high energy offering coated heavy with Nitro Glycerin, it is known to be harder on throats than most powders. Instant heats.
In comparison, my first 6 Dasher, running RL 16 powder, way less than you are, looked 4X worse than what yours does by the time I had 600rds down the tube. I pulled the barrel at 1700 rds, it acted funny at 1650 or so, cleaned it good, got 25rds more and things went south.

The fire cracking you show I quite common in the throat/fee-bore. I have had it develop within the first 10-20% of my accurate barrel life.....before my accuracy was effected. When the fire cracking works it's way into the rifling is when problems can occur and may coincide with increases in BTO measurements. Allowing the barrel to coll between shots can help with early fire cracking .........and overall barrel life as well. IMO.

I have a .22 hornet that looks like a sewer pipe through the bore scope. Moon crater pitting halfway down the barrel. But, it consistently will shoot moa at 100 yrs. I solved the problem by not scoping the bore anymore.

I have an old 308 that used to shoot groups with all three holes touching each other. I have no idea how many rounds I've shot through it, nor have I ever scoped the bore. I'm sure it must look like the dark side of the moon in there. On the rare occasions when I shoot a few groups with it ( for checking scope zero, mostly ) the groups have opened up to around an inch or so. The rifle lives in my cousin's safe, and only gets used when I travel back east and hunt deer. The deer are usually shot fairly close - almost never beyond 200 yards. I don't go there every fall, but when I do the gun gets shot about a dozen times. If the useful life remaining for this barrel is only another a couple hundred rounds, that will take care of me for the rest of my life. When I croak, it will be my cousin's son's rifle, and it will probably get a new barrel chambered for some hot-rod cartridge to shoot faraway woodchucks with. For my purposes, though, it's still a first class deer-slayer with a rotted-out bore that still performs to an acceptable standard. That standard is "minute-of-deer."

Ran a scope thru my 6.5 creed and found more heat cracking (checking) than I would have thought with 500 rounds or so. How much is too much. Accuracy becoming inconsistent. Use Reloder 17. Thx, pete

I was curious... how many rounds between cleanings?

I may have been guilty of over cleaning. I cleaned after about 30 rounds or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.