Fire forming

I load
Good afternoon
I am new to fire forming cases the gun is 25-06 ai. My question is should I have the bullet just into the lands just a little to make sure it pushes the shoulder out to form the new case ? Some of the cases have a little rounded shoulder. My think is if the bolt closes just a little tight that should push the case back against the bolt face. Is the thinking right ? The load is not hot at all any information or advice would be greatly appreciate.
a 25 Gibbs for many years and do as you suggest. I make brass from 270 win and just resize with 25 die. I use 5 grains of bullseye and fill with cornmeal and seal with bees wax. Watch for split necks. If using 30-06 brass run thru 270 die first. Going from 30 to 25 caliber will result in many split necks. My rifle is a pre-war model 70 converted by Rocky Gibbs from a 257 Roberts. Your cartridge and the Gibbs are very close to 257 weather by using 26 inch barrels.
Have fun with your ai.

Good afternoon
I am new to fire forming cases the gun is 25-06 ai. My question is should I have the bullet just into the lands just a little to make sure it pushes the shoulder out to form the new case ? Some of the cases have a little rounded shoulder. My think is if the bolt closes just a little tight that should push the case back against the bolt face. Is the thinking right ? The load is not hot at all any information or advice would be greatly appreciate.
We shoot a lot of AI improved cartridges at our house as in 22-250 AI's, 243 Win AI's 250-3000 AI's, 260 Rem AI;s, 280 Rem AI's (280 AI brass is now available but was not when I had Shilen rebarrel two Rem 700's in 1985). I certainly don't always try to jamb the bullets into the lands but shoot reloads at the top end of case volume when possible, we shoot 95 grain Hornady VMax in our 260 AI's over 50 grains of H1000, this load is just touching the lands and if you don't shoot it and try to eject you will get a stuck bullet because it is a short bullet and really not much shank left in the case. We also shoot factory loads in our 22-250 AI guns with 0 problem getting clean shoulders. I like to hit the prairie dog towns when I fire form or hit the blind and wait to shoot a pig (head/neck juncture) , no need in wasting good bullets. Good luck.

I have 220 Swift AI, 243 AI, 260 AI (30 & 40 Degree Shoulders), 280 AI ….308 AI (Only 1 that Waz a Mistake - Achieved Nada), 30-06 AI, a .338/284 @40 degrees, and my .338 Ultra Rogue, 35 Whelan AI ; ALL Fireform just fine with full pressure loads (factory or my own loadings I use mid range) - that is the nice thing about Ackley's - can use factory when your handloads get lost by shipper or stolen by anti-gunners when you travel 🤦‍♂️

Depending on how the chamber was set up. A 280AI case to the shoulder is a little longer than most. I am having a 6mm/280AI rifle being built presently. We see how that works. I have been thinking about rechambering my 25/06's to that 280AI size case length, and getting a reamer built for that. I have 500 280AI cases on order from Peterson. When that going to filled, is anybody guess. I have new Lapua and Peterson case new in either 270 and 30/06 on hand. Nosler builds 280AI case, but they want $2. per case, which I feel is out of line.
Ditto on the 280 AI necked down to .257 and a reamer built to that spec. Peterson Brass offers 280 AI also as you said and in my opinion it is top quailty.

I have 220 Swift AI, 243 AI, 260 AI (30 & 40 Degree Shoulders), 280 AI ….308 AI (Only 1 that Waz a Mistake - Achieved Nada), 30-06 AI, a .338/284 @40 degrees, and my .338 Ultra Rogue, 35 Whelan AI ; ALL Fireform just fine with full pressure loads (factory or my own loadings I use mid range) - that is the nice thing about Ackley's - can use factory when your handloads get lost by shipper or stolen by anti-gunners when you travel 🤦‍♂️
25-30 years ago I had a Wyoming antelope tag tag for a really nice unit, I had developed a really accurate load for my Shilen DGA in 243 Win ( not hard to do this gun shoots any load accurate within the 1-9 twist rate -70-100 grs), when I got to Wyoming I remembered that I had left my ammo box on the counter at my home in Texas, I stopped in Laramie and bought a box of factory 243 Win 100 gr and drove to my unit pulled over and shot a tennis ball sized rock at 100 yards called it good and later shot an antelope with one round. Having an easily accessible factory round has it's benefits.

Lots of information here. Here is what works best for me. Make a false shoulder that just allows you to close the bolt with resistance. This forces the case against the bolt face. I've used Cream of Wheat and a cotton plug at the neck over fast burning powder. I prefer using a bullet to seat into the lands with a near full load. I have used the very heavy RWS brass for fireforming for my wildcat. It took three heavy loads to fireforming that brass completely. Annealed every other firing they are still in use after 21 years. I love RWS brass, but not its' price.

Bullet seating depth will not make any difference. Just make sure you are not using a reduced loading - go to the upper end for fire forming for best results. Brass case wall thickness make a difference also, some brands are thicker and you will get different results with different head stamps on first firing.

Good afternoon
I shoot an AI.
I do have the bullet into the lands for fire forming (light load) I think it yields a better result on 1st fire forming.
In my experience firing off of the lands doesn't give you a sharp, clean enough shoulder angle like touching the grooves. IMO

Good afternoon

Here's my two cents worth; $.02!! I did read one of your replies where you had 250 pieces of brass (?) and a lot of powder (50lbs). SO.....you certainly have some stuff to work with. I wouldn't let anyone know that I have 50 pounds of powder due to fear of a home invasion!!;):) I fire form cases for a .270 Ackley Improved, just started this about two years ago, so still in a learning curve for me. I managed to glom all of my information through this forum and from getting PMs from a lot of good folks on the forum. If you are fireforming brass I would suggest starting out annealing the brass so it will move easier while fireforming. There is the salt-bath method as the least expensive, an Annealeze with the torch and numerous electronic machines that I found too expensive for me. Presently I own an Annealeze and found it work for me, this replaced the salt bath method that I started out with. Once I have fireformed my cases and after I have shot one hot load through the brass I anneal a second time. I only do this to prevent split cases, and......I have gotten split cases if they have been formed using the bullet method. Being the ADHD curious soul, I have tried all three methods of fireforming brass, shooting a fully loaded round, hydro forming and the COW (cream of wheat) method. What I have found is that firing a fully loaded round will give the most exactly formed brass of the three methods of fireforming. With this process means using components that do not exist anymore, stuff like primers, bullets, powder (some of us do not have a 50lb cache), even brass. Also it puts a lot more stress on the barrel. For me my rifles have a sported contour barrel so it doesn't take a whole lot of shots through the rifle before the barrel really heats up.

The hydro-forming process is another process that I have tried. I spent quite a bit of money on hydro-forming dies, only to find out that they did not work for me or for my particular cartridge; .270 AI. With my dies the spindle that is hit with a hammer to make the pressure is relatively thin in diameter and the spindle/arbor keeps bending and from that bend the spindle/arbor binds up inside of the form die. With that said, the process is time consuming and the water can be a little bit messy to deal with. I have been in contact with the custom shop that built this die, not happy with the customer service at all. I have a fireforming die that I have made exactly 14 cases on that does not work!! With the small bullet diameter that you are going to be working on this is a possible problem that you might run into.

The next process that I have used is the COW process. I was quite amazed that 15 grains of powder, some cream of wheat and some paper wadding could do such a good job of fireforming brass. This process too is a little time consuming, however for me is seems to be the best process to form my brass. I thought that is was going to be a bit messy when fired, however this was not the case. And......I was surprised about the muzzle blast when the case was fired. I "thought" that I could fireform from the backyard, this turned out not to be the case due to the noise and the neighbors. Also with the COW method there's nothing going down my barrel to cause it to heat up.

As for using a bullet jammed up into the lands to make for a "false shoulder", a factory 25-06 "ought" to work in the rifle without a false shoulder. With my rifle the gunsmith set the headspace a couple of thousandths short so a false shoulder is not necessary. Actually I have two .270 AIs, one was made for my son at the same time. With my rifle in order to close the bolt I have to strike it down with the palm of my hand (it closes tight), and my son's rifle closes regularly. Right now I have about 40 rounds of loaded .270s that I reloaded about 25 years ago that I will be shooting the next time we go to the range, so there will be 40pcs of fireformed, virgin brass when we come back from the range.

So......this is my $.02 worth, hope it was helpful to you. I'd also like to say one more thing, this really isn't that difficult or complicated to do once you get into it. A little experience and a few pieces of messed up brass and you ought to be on your way!!! And.....................good luck with your new rifle.

B8EDDF6B-2433-4F8A-B0B0-59E7A9A9AC60.jpeg
F9416520-7955-410A-AFA2-93670EEA2AF8.jpeg

This is my fire forming result the brass looks good and from the target I think I have a good baseline to start from. Five shot groups waiting for 15 minutes between groups. Again thanks to the members that responded to my original post.

That's looking real good!
Would you please add a post-script to this thread after you have taken your formed cases and loaded them up with whatever load you end up liking? I think they're going to be very impressive!

Good luck,
Rex

I don't jam bullets. If your chamber is headspaced correctly it shouldn't be needed because there should be a slight crush fit on the case, tight as the bolt closes. I've used loads at the top end of the parent case for forming and I get sharp shoulders the first firing.