Finished the .270 Project

Thor

I finished my .270 Project last week. So far, so good. It's gonna be the new Deer gun. Now I gotta get out and shoot it.

Savage1005.jpg

Savage1004.jpg

Started life this fall as a blued Savage 111 .270 from Cabela's with the gray/black laminated stock. Couple of 'tweaks' done.

-All metal redone in a black CeraKote finish.
-OTM Stockade Sporter stock
-Bedded with Devcon
-Painted with DuraCoat #75 ACU gray green
-Webbed with Krylon webbing spray
-DuraCoat matte clear coat
-Farrell 0 MOA base (black CeraKoted)
-steel trigger guard (black CeraKoted)
-Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm with Mil-dot reticle
-Leupold PRW low rings

It'll also get a custom barrel after the factory one's shot out. I've also got a new Savage 111 .300 Win Mag for a Spring project.

Last edited:
Why the zero MOA base?

Went with the 0 MOA because the maximum effective range of the .270 Win should be about 750 yds with my 140 gr AccuBond load - while still retaining about 1000 ft/lbs of energy.

That range requires about 15.00 MOA of elevation (temp/altitude variables) and the Nikon's got 70 MOA of adjustment. The future IOR scope should be similarly capable. Canted base not required. :)

Made it left handed cause I'm right-handed but left eye dominant - it's easier to shoot left handed. :D

Last edited:
Nice. How do you like that Nikon?

So far, I like it. It's clear, light, has lots of adjustment and repeatable tracking, and is moderately priced with a lifetime warranty. Not sure how durable it's gonna be... we'll see. Hopefully, I won't need the warranty :D Seems to be as good as my last VX-III, though. My hunting guns don't see alot of abuse.

For something my life depended on I'd go with a good 30mm tactical - but for a little .270 deer gun the Nikon should work out nicely. I'll step up to an IOR 2.5-10x42mm with MP8 for the .300 WM Project - maybe this one too, we'll see. Those are a dream for $700.

Nice looking rig!
I have a LH Savage 6.5 WSM in a Stockade stock. Sounds like yours is well thought out, even put the bolt on the correct side!

I just found a 270 Remington Sendero that I had to buy. I need to get out and try it out. I have shot a 270 Remington ADL for 20 yrs. Love that 270

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.