finished my AR finally

DownYonder

well im pretty new to this forum but i love it. so after 7 months of buying bits and pieces here and there ( kinda hard to do on a usaf A1C paycheck :D) i got it completed well except for the forward assist :rolleyes:, so i figured id give you guys some pics plus first day on the range results!

Attachments

• IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0355.jpg
    IMAG0355.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0356.jpg
    IMAG0356.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 104
the target was shot at 100yrds with 55gr hornady fmjs, i know working on getting some heavier, the scope is the redfield revolution 3x9x40 (great scope by the way)
the rifle is daniel defence internals and upper on a rock river lower, 18'' dpms heavy barrel in a nordic free float modular handguard, 1-8 twist with an AR-stoner competition muzzle break, gun)idk what do you guys think of the accuracy i was able to acheive i was just happy i worked lol all in all for my first build im really happy with it

Good lookin stick! I'd be willing to bet you can get those groups even smaller with the right ammo and a good trigger (ammo testing is one of my favorite excuses for extended range sessions:D!) Congrats on a good build, have fun with it.

Thanks, yea a trigger is the next thing on the list after a bipod. looking for some ammo alternatives any suggestions?

Thanks, yea a trigger is the next thing on the list after a bipod. looking for some ammo alternatives any suggestions?
I'd get a trigger first, as it will do more to tighten your groups than just about anything else. I run a Geissele SSA-E, and it's outstanding (kinda spendy, but well worth the $$$), swapping out the crappy factory trigger litterally cut my groups in half. As far as ammo goes, you might want to put a call into Daniel D and ask what they test with. Otherwise, it's pretty much trial and error, certian barrels just like certain ammo, and not always what you'd expect. Good luck.

DownYonder,

First thing to do is get away form the FMJ ammo; in general, it's crap. Most of these designs are allowed up to about 3 MOA accuracy (though most do shoot a bit better than that), and still be "acceptable" to govt. contractors. Try something along the Match or Hollow Point Boat Tail designs and you should see some serious improvement.

I'll second the recommendation on the Geissele, they're probably the best on the market right now, and have been for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.