Finished boiling "the wrong buck"

Tikkamike

I finally finished boiling the deer I shot last fall.. hes quite a bit smaller than the one I thought I was shooting. either way I finished boiling it and itll go somewhere i can look at it. Deer was shot at 475 or 500yards, I cant remember with my 375 ultra and 270 TSX.

Europeon mount? Don't know how you finish yours but I've found that repeatedly bathing the skull with coats of hydrogen peroxide does a very good job of whitening the surfaces and makes for a nicer display.

Attachments

• Mounted.JPG
    Mounted.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 170
Europeon mount? Don't know how you finish yours but I've found that repeatedly bathing the skull with coats of hydrogen peroxide does a very good job of whitening the surfaces and makes for a nicer display.

if its a big deer I just have the taxidermist do it and they come back nice and white. otherwise for the other stuff I just boil them clean and call it good. I actually kind of like the patina look anyway.... if it had been the other deer this would be a pic of a shoulder mount!

great looking goat btw

When you get them all cleaned up just put the head in a boiling saturated salt solution let it boil for about a minute then cut off the heat and just let it soak for a few days then hang to dry in the sun.

It will come out whiter than white (assuming the cleanup was complete) and it permanently preserves them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.