finished 40 .300 win mags

trophyhunter1000

Just finished up 40 cartridges of .300 win mag. Running a CCI 250 primer, 77 grains of IMR7828scs under a 168 grain nosler. They were supposed to be 165's but all weights were 168 grains. Fit and finished to 3.310". How do think they will perform out of a 26" browning barrel?

You are three grains under Nosler's listed max so they will be safe but I would have loaded three each climbing up to max of 80 grains with +1, +2, +2.5 and +3. Nosler's data is pretty safe pressure wise. But 40 rounds three grains under is a waste of components if you are developing the load.

I load five of each test load and if the first two are not at the velocity level I want or are over pressure the other three come back home to be disassembled. I need five over the chronograph for meaningful ES & SD.

KB

was pleased with the 5 rounds I shot for the proof. MV was 2946 was a little slower than I wanted but the accuracy was there. So I'm going to run with it. Now my next work up I Will be asking for alot of help. .338 win mag any suggestions?

was pleased with the 5 rounds I shot for the proof. MV was 2946 was a little slower than I wanted but the accuracy was there. So I'm going to run with it. Now my next work up I Will be asking for alot of help. .338 win mag any suggestions?
I'm running 3250 fps with rl22 and 165 hdy pills in my lh browning 300win. I've run your 165 grain load with 180's and gotten 3100 fps with it and good groups, but I put the heavier slugs through my 300rum.

That said, it's never a bad idea to let a rifle loaf a bit if you don't need the extra thump. The only bad idea is running them too hard.

225 hdy or ab with rl19 and a mag primer for your 338win.
That would be the first combo tried on a 338 for me; I've been shooting it in 338's for years and it does well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.