Finer Points of Reloading

What annealing setups is everyone using? One consistent recommendation I've gotten is I should definitely start! Looking for sub $500. The annealeez is appealing but didn't know if there was a better option in my price range?
I had an annealeez for many years finally graduated to the amp machine and could not be happier

My annealer, is a simple, hand made one, that just works, for less than $100 to make. I'v more parts to make another with a few more features, but this one is fine still. I anneal cases after every firing and every other firing for some. Simple process really, each cartridge brand has it's own speed.

1635956755988.jpeg

Many good ideas and techniques here! I use almost all of these, and have been very successful with it. I use the Redding Competition Shell Holders, which makes micro headspace adjustments very quick and easy! Do yourself a big favor and get you a set. They are not expensive.

What annealing setups is everyone using? One consistent recommendation I've gotten is I should definitely start! Looking for sub $500. The annealeez is appealing but didn't know if there was a better option in my price range?
EP 2.0 BRASS ANNEALER - $268 shipped and really simple to use. I use if after each firing just because 1) it is easy to use and 2) I bought it and have to prove to spouse it was a necessity LOL.
69aa3a_53f260ad5b3d473cb8c65f843e1c106a~mv2.webp

1) No. Neck sizing only can even be dangerous.
I agree with every point in your reply except neck sizing being dangerous?

Please explain your belief.

I've heard thus claim many times, but never a valid explanation.

If something goes wrong with a neck sized round, look else where for the cause. It wasn't because it was neck sized.

I have been reloading for 50+ years and rarely FL size.

Randy

Last edited:
Also, if you do not have one, Hornady Bullet comparator, this will aid in measuring Cartridge Base to Ogive on the bullet, you want this to be a constant when reloading.
I have a question? I have 20 rounds of 7mm loaded 2 years ago, I'm noticing that some are sticking and have to tap on bolt to get bolt open, can i pull the bullets and reduce the load then recent the bullet without resizing again

I have a question? I have 20 rounds of 7mm loaded 2 years ago, I'm noticing that some are sticking and have to tap on bolt to get bolt open, can i pull the bullets and reduce the load then recent the bullet without resizing again
I assume you are talking about a sticky bolt after firing the cartridge, which is an early sign of excess pressure. If so, you need to reduce the load, and you can do what you describe.
If, however, you have a sticky bolt when extracting a loaded round, it should also have been difficult to close when placing the cartridge in battery, and you don't have enough headspace. In that case, you need to pull the bullets, dump the powder, and resize to get a 1-2 thousandths inch of headspace. This is where the comparators come into play.