Finding max load for semi-auto .308

G

GNERGY

I know all you guys are bolt gun guys, but I have a Remington 7400 semi-auto in 308 that I got about 6 yrs. ago. I started to work up some loads for it and then work got busy and didn't get to finish.
How do you go about finding your max load so you can back down a couple grains to be safe.
I would think by flattened primers.
What do you guys think.
Thanks for the help.
Tarey

Max loads are available from the data that the powder manufacturers provide, but you don't want to run loads even close to max in that rifle for good reasons...

... and no factory high energy ammo, or heavy bullets either, because doing so will eventually batter the receiver rails beyond repair and trash the action. The 7400 is not a good rifle for experimenting with hot loads. It is a light duty rifle that is best carried a lot and fired mostly at game...regardless of what Remington says about it.

The loads you want to run are moderate loads of faster powders like 4895 and no bullets heavier than 180 gr.

Loads equivalent to Military ball, or Federal GMM Match ammo is as hot as you want to go. These loads are a couple of steps down from max, or what used to be referred to as mid-range loads in reloading manuals. The powder burning rate is very important. 150-165gr bullets work very well for just about any game, and no powder is better than 4895 for this application.

The good news is if you feed the rifle the right ammo and keep the chamber clean and the bolt greased it will minimize wear and tear and provide many years of service.

TC

Last edited:
I would not try to find a max load in an AR rifle. For this rifle I would shoot ammo with 168gr or lighter bullet. If you reload use powders such as 4895 or Varget and go by reloading manuals specs.

I am using 150gr sierras, just for a playin around and maybe tryin on some coyotes. I'm using some Acurate Arms 2520 powder. I'm not looking for high power loads just an accurate one.
Tarey

Here is Accurate's data for that bullet weight:

2520 150 HDY SST

START 42.3 2,542 fps
MAX 47.0 2,825 fps 61,200 psi

Primer: FED 210 O.A.L. 2.735

So the middle of that range would be max for your rifle.

The rest of their data is available at: Accurate Arms Company, Inc.

TC

Don`t mean to steal your post but I like the topic.I have always shot factory ammo in my semi auto`s but now I have an FNAR .308 20 inch 1in 12 4 groove barrel should I also stay with 168 grain or less or can I shoot heaver bullets I`m not looking for max loads just an accurate ones to get me out to around7-800 yards.
Thanks robster:rolleyes:

The FNAR is a very accurate rifle and would perform best with match ammo. Any Match ammo including 175gr will be ok in your rifle. Fed GMM is usually shoots well. 175gr will take you out to 1000yds. The 168 gr will perform well out to 800-900yds, so you could stay with that if it shoots better than the 175gr.

TC

Thanks TC I wanted to try reloading the 175`s and the one gun shop I frequent recomended 150`s or less but then he oaso sells mostly handguns and supplys for them but will order anything. thanks again,robster:cool:

You can also go with a 155 Match bullet.

The new Sierra Palma bullet, Berger, Hornady, Nosler or Lapua Scenar will all shoot well to 900 yds, and the Lapua is good out beyond 1000yd because it has a higher BC.

Nosler has a 175 now, for 1000 yd work, the 175 Sierra, 178 Hornady A-Max, and the 155 Lapua Scenar all have about the same BC.

Obviously the 155s can be driven faster with less pressure, so it is a popular bullet for long range.

TC

TC, I'm trying to reload for a FNAR also. I would like to use 44grs of Varget pushing a 168gr Berger VLD. What is your thoughts? I'm looking for a middle of the road load.

There is a great deal of information on the M14 Forum about reloading for semiautos.
M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles . IMR 4064 powder along with Varget and RL-15 have been a standard
for several years. Start at min and work up most generally 1.5 to 2 gr under max you will find a sweet spot in your rifle.
Prepping your brass will help as well.........

I know this is a really old thread but here goes.
150 grain SST or the 155 grain ELD
Lake city brass
Lake city mil spec primer
44.7 grains of 8208 xbr (work up to this as 45.0 is book max)

I load this on my Dillon and in my AR308, is minute of deer vitals at 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.