Finding level, horizontal spot on Model 70?

Billinsd

I bought a Wheeler, Level, Level, Level kit. It is two bubble levels, one is for the gun and the other is for the scope. You make sure the gun is level first and second you level the scope.

On my Winchester Model 70 30-06 it is not horizontal across the open magazine chamber. The left shelf or edge looks pretty level and I used that? What do you guys think?

Thanks
Bill

Bill,
I bought a similar tool a while back. After some fiddlin', I decided it was mainly for use with the Redfield/Leupold type bases & rings. THAT will give you your flat place for reference. A one-piece base is better than the two-piece in this application.
Since I mostly use Weaver 2-piece bases and Remingtons, I don't have a flat spot, either. What I wind up doing, most of the time, is just using the piece that goes on the scope. I line the recoil pad holes up vertical with a bullet level, and the gun in the cradle. Then you can check back-and-forth til it suits you. HTH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

Thanks for the info. I ended up taking the scope off and using the one back base, which was flat and level. I compared the left side of the chamber with that flat base and they are both the same.

So, in the future, the side left chamber window is flat and level.

Thanks
Bill

You can also lay a square against the rear of the recoil pad bolt holes. Those are usally perpendicular and will give you a fairly accurate horizontal too. Esp on modern rifles where the quality control on is so precise in the mfg process. Another thing is the table top gun vise thing, those should give you a good perp thus a good horizontal.

I also have the Wheeler level-level-level. You are supposed to lay the one across the bolt raceway. It fits in there fine on my Rem 700. The problem I just ran into the other day is that I also have a B Square bore level that clamps on to the weaver style base. When the two Wheeler levels are showing level, the B Square is showing about a half bubble off on both front and rear bases. What the heck? I don't want to cant my rifle for long shots and I want my reticle level as well. I bought this versus the Scopelevel which clamps on to the scope, but it was plastic and the B Square is metal. I believe I may send the B Square back to Midway and get the plastic one. Or I guess I could remark the level to match up with the other two.

On my model 70 I took the action out of the stock and laid the barrel and action on a block of wood on a table [one block under the end of the barrel and the other under the mag well]. I'm counting that the mag well is machined true [the spot right behind the recoil lug looks like it would work too]. I tried to keep the barreled action fairly level. One block will need to be taller than the other, obviously. I purchased a small bubble level at a hardware store and laid the tiny level on the block of wood beside the action. I then shimmed the block up on the side it required to level up the action. I had the rifle pointed down a long hallway where I had taped up a large piece of paper which I had drawn a heavy dark and level line on. Level your crosshairs on the line making sure your action is still level. Tighten rings and making sure everything jives with your level and the level line. That's how I did it on my winchester.

Roger:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.