Finding a load....Powder vs. Bullet.....Help Needed

drenner43

So we have finally gotten all of our reloading supplies and I am about to start loading for 220 Swift, 300 Win Mag, and 30-378 Weatherby Mag. I've got a few powders and bullets to try but what is everyones suggestions on how to find the right load. Do I start using one bullet and go until I found a powder it likes then try different bullets? Try different bullets with one powder? Thanks for any help.

Figure out a plan then go to work.

Keep the targets with load data written on them and keep good records.

I start with several reloading manuals and get an idea of the MV range I want with a certain weight and type bullet and what powders give me that.

A little reading will tell you what powders, what primers and what bullets "tend" to work best. Notice I said tend.

DO NOT start at someone elses magic load that is max charge weight or over just because it works in his gun.

I load at max mag COAL if magazine gun to start.

I use a chrono to ensure I am hitting my MV range and not above or below.

Here is an older post on a way to do it, Jerry Teo has another good post.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/tuning-load-part-2-a-22102/

BH

Change just one component at a time. First select the bullet you intend to hunt with. Then read reloading manual and find a powder you might have on hand or will purchase. Stay with one primer. Start with powder charge 10% below recommended. Go up .5 grs at a time, load three cases at each amount, shoot them at 100 yds and select the best one. Then work on OAL beginning with one that will fit magazine and not quite touch lands. Seat deeper, shooting three at a time. Select the best OAL, and you should have a good load. If you have a chronograph, use it each time you test loads. Try for the MV you want, but stay in safe limits.

Also, do I just start with one powder and find where it shoots the best or do i try 2 different ones?

Thanks for the info and help guys. Anyone have any other suggestions or tips?

In my experience, most rifles (that I've had anyway) are more picky about bullets then they are about powder, assuming that I am using a powder that normally does good with that cartridge. I stick with one powder/primer till I find a bullet the gun likes, then maybe change something else if I am still not satisfied.

My old 220 Swift shot some bullets extremely well, some not so good. I was somewhat limited on seating depth because I wanted to use the magazine for the most part. I used H-380 powder during most of it's barrel life. Nothing but Federal primers it's entire life.

52 and 53 grain match bullets from sierra and hornady shot the best, with the 53's holding a slight edge (capable of 1" or less at 300 yds...calm day, dead steady rest, 20X optics, hair trigger ect.) I could get 1/2 moa groups with a few other bullets, but only the 52 and 53 really shined. Even loading 55's single shot at optimum seating depth didn't produce the bughole groups that I could get with the lighter match bullets.

I don't have any experience with the other two calibers you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.