Finaly found a load for my 6.5x55.

Wild Bill G

After years of of on and off tinkering with my Winchester Feather Weight 6.5x55 I finaly found a load it likes. The load is a127 Barnes LRX seated .05 off the rifling over 45 grains of RL22 and a Rem 9 and a half primer. This load really shoots with my test load putting 3 shots into .287 of an inch at 100 yards. My scope is a 3x9-50 Leupold European.
When I put this load together I was really hoping it would push those 127 out the 22 inch barrel over 2800fps. Well I ran 3 over the chronograph and only got 2744 average speed. So I was not really impressed until I looked in my Barnes manual and saw that 44.0 grains out of a 24 inch barrel only produced 2619 I believe for velocity. Well now my load looked pretty good 1 grain more powder and almost 130 fps faster with a 22 inch barrel. This will give me a 550 yard hunting rifle with little recoil and still fairly light to pack around. I have always liked this catridge and was still kicking my self for selling my sporterized military rifle until now. Any thoughts that could make this setup better or if that velocity sounds about right are welcome.

Wild Bill G, On the Alliant loading guide they list loads for commercial 6.5x55 rifles. For Rel 22 and the 140 grain Speer bullet the max load is 45 grains and the 120 grain Speer max is 46 grains. I realize different bullets make a difference but I would say you are still on the right side of safe.
Kiwikid.

Kiwikid I thought I would have had a way to go as well but 46 grains led to a hard bolt lift. I checked the Nosler book and they said 46 grains for a 140. This leaves me to believe the Barnes bullets must have a little more resistance when going down the barrel.

Wild Bill G the profile of that bullet does appear to have a long bearing surface so I would say your theory on resistance is right on the money. Barnes have newer loading info online and it appears that the velocity you have attained is higher than any of the powders they list for that bullet and as you said they tested in a 24" tube. Since you are getting .287" 3 shot groups out of a light weight rifle I would say you must have everything pretty darn close to perfect. All I can say is well done Sir!

I just did some testing with my 6.5x55 today. Rifle is a Remington 700 classic and has a 22 inch barrel. I haven't shot it much at all just got it last year. Well I worked up a load for the new 130 grain Sierra Gamechanger. Tried IMR4831,H4831sc,RL23 and RL26. Results were IMR4831 was the most accurate powder with 3 sub MOA groups with the best being .481. Speed was 2846 with 48.3 grains. RL26 showed some real potential and was knocking on 3000fps at 2967. But I'm just gonna run the IMR4831 for a while. 2846 is plenty good for me and this rifle won't be shooting at game more than 300-400 yards.

Good to hear you got some nice accuracy and speed out of your Remington lee31. The best I got until the Rl22 was in the .7 or kigher with my Winchester. Wish you hadn't mentioned Rl26 I may have to get some of it now. At 2846 you could likely push that load to 600 yards.

Good to hear you got some nice accuracy and speed out of your Remington lee31. The best I got until the Rl22 was in the .7 or kigher with my Winchester. Wish you hadn't mentioned Rl26 I may have to get some of it now. At 2846 you could likely push that load to 600 yards.
Probably could. But it is just wears a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10 with a regular duplex reticle. So I don't think I'll be shooting it at game much past 300 maybe 400 yards. Not that it's not enough magnification but it doesn't have the best turrets for dialing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.