Finally

Ernie

SPONSOR
Between weather and schedule, I finally made it out to shoot yesterday afternoon. I finally got some of the Medium Burris 30mm Signature Zee rings, so I needed to re-sight in. Went to 100 yards from the bench off the bipod, took out the bolt looked down the bore, made some adjustment clicks and I was on paper withing 4' or so of center. Got it about 1.5" high and moved to my 200 yd paper and got it properly zeroed. There was a father and his two boys at the plinking range so I had to wait a while before I could move back to 600 yards. I had already put my target up at 600 and had drawn a 2" square bull. I also realized about this time I had left my Kestrel at home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
The guys saw what I was going to shoot and I invited them to shoot "Puff" @ 600 yards. I ended up shooting some cool BP rifle off hand (iron sights) @ 50 yards and got lucky and made a good shot. Before I shot I told them I will shoot your BP rifle if you will shoot my 7mm Dakota XP @ 600 yards-It was a deal.
We got moved back to 600 yards and we had fairly nice conditions. I guessed the wind, but ran 11 MOA for elevation. Since I was shooting on paper I couldn't see my bullet holes. I fired three shots and then we drove down to the target, made note of where my three hit (it is marked/circled in the second pic) and then drove back up and let each of them fire one shot a piece (I did some individual coaching before each shot of course). None of them had ever shot at 600 yards with anything, little alone a specialty handgun. Here is a pic with the father and his three sons and then a closer pic of the 600 yard target. All in all it was a great afternoon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sure feels good to get out and shoot again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

The dad is now considering getting his first specialty handgun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nice!! My best is 1" at 400yds and under 2" at 500yds on steel...did not have the camera that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. When the weather clears I want to stretch out the Lil'Monster now that I have the Loopy LRF.

Also...great on the visitor shooting! I do that quite often with the .22 cal XP's. I've let several teen's shoot the Lil'Monster...as you said...a little individual coaching and explaining then they are ready go. Popping gallon jugs to 400yds with the 1st shot is the norm with the .22's. I think we just talked about this the other day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

way to go Ernie, it's always great to include others in enjoying the shooting. good shooting to you as well, not bad
at "600" yds, I can't even see that far!!! looks like you are practicing for Rich's shoot in a couple of months? was your group with the new ART Reticle?
tom

Tom,
Yes doing some practice but more just trying to confirm correct zero. Yes, it also has the ART Reticle, but I was running clicks that day. In fact both of my Mark 4's do.

Neat, and sweet Ern. I'm responding from an internet "cafe" in the middle of nowhere in the Philippines. Interenet takes awhile here.

I also like the ART reticle, and it's best attribute is the 4MOA direct windage subtensions, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.