Finally STW

IndianaMatt

Guys, I have spent a while looking, thinking, and wanting an STW. It looks like I'm finally going to put one in the collection. I have been in discussions with Parkwest Arms and they are going to build one for me. Is there anything they or I should know when putting it together? I am planning 1:9 twist and a Wyatt's box. If you would like the full build details I can share. I'm very excited to be getting this done.
My next mission is to find a proper optic. I have a pretty tight budget after spending the majority on the rifle. I'm looking in the $300-$400 range. Strictly a hunting rifle with weight a factor. I'm thinking something around 15 power on the high end and under 50mm objective lens.

Guys, I have spent a while looking, thinking, and wanting an STW. It looks like I'm finally going to put one in the collection. I have been in discussions with Parkwest Arms and they are going to build one for me. Is there anything they or I should know when putting it together? I am planning 1:9 twist and a Wyatt's box. If you would like the full build details I can share. I'm very excited to be getting this done.
My next mission is to find a proper optic. I have a pretty tight budget after spending the majority on the rifle. I'm looking in the $300-$400 range. Strictly a hunting rifle with weight a factor. I'm thinking something around 15 power on the high end and under 50mm objective lens.
I Don't know what bullet or weight your going to want to run, but if you want to shoot anything over 180 or mono's I would at least go with an 8 twist but that's just me I like the heavies 😉

I would twist it a little faster myself as far as optic look at the new sightron s-tac I ran the 3-16x42 through the paces yesterday and was fully impressed for a 400 dollar scope it tracked perfectly and great glass for the money cameraland it were I bought it

I Don't know what bullet or weight your going to want to run, but if you want to shoot anything over 180 or mono's I would at least go with an 8 twist but that's just me I like the heavies 😉
I had not planned on going that heavy. I have been thinking something along the lines of the Nosler 175gr accubond would be my go to bullet. According to Nosler 1:9 is what I seen recommended.

I'd go with an 8.5 twist personally. It won't hurt with 150-60s and will shine if you decide to run 180s.

If it's not too late I'd think about the 28 nosler. It's much easier to find quality brass for in normal times. I say normal times cause everything is a crap shoot today.

My dad has an stw and I had one for a short time. First off the case length makes them hard to load vlds and they can be finicky to tune.

While I don't have a 28 nos, I do have a 30 nosler and can say it's very easy to tune with excellent brass life. The shorter case allows you to tune coal without worries of restriction in a 3.85-4 inch box.

Velocity performance is likely identical or so close you won't know the difference. But, the nosler is a modern and superior case design; shorter, fatter, way less taper, sharper shoulder and no belt. If building a rifle I think it's a better option and worth exploring.

Not trying to bash the stw but I feel the nosler is a far better choice that seems to fly under the radar. Likely due to its proprietary nature and marketing or lack there of.

I'd go with an 8.5 twist personally. It won't hurt with 150-60s and will shine if you decide to run 180s.

If it's not too late I'd think about the 28 nosler. It's much easier to find quality brass for in normal times. I say normal times cause everything is a crap shoot today.

My dad has an stw and I had one for a short time. First off the case length makes them hard to load vlds and they can be finicky to tune.

While I don't have a 28 nos, I do have a 30 nosler and can say it's very easy to tune with excellent brass life. The shorter case allows you to tune coal without worries of restriction in a 3.85-4 inch box.

Velocity performance is likely identical or so close you won't know the difference. But, the nosler is a modern and superior case design; shorter, fatter, way less taper, sharper shoulder and no belt. If building a rifle I think it's a better option and worth exploring.

Not trying to bash the stw but I feel the nosler is a far better choice that seems to fly under the radar. Likely due to its proprietary nature and marketing or lack there of.
I'm not saying I disagree at all. Your above statement is probably very accurate. I have wanted an STW for a long time. Right wrong or indifferent it's an itch I need to scratch.

Does anyone have experience with the US Optics TS line of scopes? I see them on sale everywhere and they seem like a good price for what your getting.

By all means Get a 1/8 twist. I have had a 7mm STW for 20 years. When the barrel went south I built a 28 Nosler and never looked back nor would I go back. As stated above the length with heavies is a problem in the STW not in the 28. The magazine is where part of the problem is. The modern cartridge design is superior in the 28 Nosler. Ask any gunsmith who builds rifles which he prefers.