Finally...some good news :)

Bigeclipse

Ok guys,
A lot of you have probably read my numerous threads on here concerning one rifle not shooting well with any loads I fed it and other threads on another rifle I was building (semi-custom savage). Well I finished the semi-custom savage 7mm Rem Mag on Friday. I did not bed it. I will eventually have it bedded though. I finally found a good gun smith who will do it but he is back logged until January so I told him to put me down on the books. I figured since it has an aluminum bedding block why not run a few rounds through it this weekend with out the bedding while also breaking-in the new criterion barrel. I bought some 150grain core lokts...they were on sale cheap, 20 bucks a box.

I also decided since I was going to the range I would work up one last load for my 3006 I have been having issues with trying to find a load (3 different bullets and 2 different powders with numerous variety of tests...OCW and ladder.)

First up was my new savage custom. I followed criterions break-in recommendations. Criterion recommended shooting 1 then cleaning. This repeated was for 5 shots. Then shoot 5 shot group twice while cleaning in between and then 10 shot groups...etc I used the single shots to sight in the scope. When I got to 5 shot groups...I got my surprise, .6MOA at 100 yards. :) I backed it up to 200 yards and got a 1 inch group :) That was as far as I have tested it but I am excited wot work up some loads.

Well here comes the BIG surprise. I grabbed my 3006 to test the last loads I worked up. Currently my best load is 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I sit down and shoot at 100 yards. It went 2 inches high and 3 inches to the left. I shoot again. No hole....I almost threw my gun across the bench lol The targets I was shooting at were those smaller reactive ones that are like 4 inches big so I was thinking great...5 inch group (which I have had before with this rifle). I shot again to confirm and again no hole. So now im ****ed. The guy next to me says "why are you so mad". I explained the situation of how ive been trying to work up a load and such with no good results. He gave me a very very weird look. He then looked through his spotting scope and looked back and said, "are you shooting for a competition?" I said no, just hunting load. Now he looked even more confused and said, how far are you wanting to shoot. I told him 400 yards. He then said "you dont think that is accurate enough for 400 yards?" and I said 4 MOA isnt really that good at all. He then laughed and said "I think you better walk down to your target or buy a spotting scope" Now I am thinking how in the heck will that help my groups. He told me to look through his spotting scope. I then got why he was laughing. It was one ragged hole. I shot another 4 shot group and again one ragged hole. Needless to say I am EXCITED!

Ok guys,
A lot of you have probably read my numerous threads on here concerning one rifle not shooting well with any loads I fed it and other threads on another rifle I was building (semi-custom savage). Well I finished the semi-custom savage 7mm Rem Mag on Friday. I did not bed it. I will eventually have it bedded though. I finally found a good gun smith who will do it but he is back logged until January so I told him to put me down on the books. I figured since it has an aluminum bedding block why not run a few rounds through it this weekend with out the bedding while also breaking-in the new criterion barrel. I bought some 150grain core lokts...they were on sale cheap, 20 bucks a box.

I also decided since I was going to the range I would work up one last load for my 3006 I have been having issues with trying to find a load (3 different bullets and 2 different powders with numerous variety of tests...OCW and ladder.)

First up was my new savage custom. I followed criterions break-in recommendations. Criterion recommended shooting 1 then cleaning. This repeated was for 5 shots. Then shoot 5 shot group twice while cleaning in between and then 10 shot groups...etc I used the single shots to sight in the scope. When I got to 5 shot groups...I got my surprise, .6MOA at 100 yards. :) I backed it up to 200 yards and got a 1 inch group :) That was as far as I have tested it but I am excited wot work up some loads.

Well here comes the BIG surprise. I grabbed my 3006 to test the last loads I worked up. Currently my best load is 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I sit down and shoot at 100 yards. It went 2 inches high and 3 inches to the left. I shoot again. No hole....I almost threw my gun across the bench lol The targets I was shooting at were those smaller reactive ones that are like 4 inches big so I was thinking great...5 inch group (which I have had before with this rifle). I shot again to confirm and again no hole. So now im ****ed. The guy next to me says "why are you so mad". I explained the situation of how ive been trying to work up a load and such with no good results. He gave me a very very weird look. He then looked through his spotting scope and looked back and said, "are you shooting for a competition?" I said no, just hunting load. Now he looked even more confused and said, how far are you wanting to shoot. I told him 400 yards. He then said "you dont think that is accurate enough for 400 yards?" and I said 4 MOA isnt really that good at all. He then laughed and said "I think you better walk down to your target or buy a spotting scope" Now I am thinking how in the heck will that help my groups. He told me to look through his spotting scope. I then got why he was laughing. It was one ragged hole. I shot another 4 shot group and again one ragged hole. Needless to say I am EXCITED!

Haha epic. Good work man

Barnes TTSX 168 grain with 49.5, grains IMR 4064, and winchester standard primer.
such a classic load for an '06. I've got a buddies '06 shooting the 150 sierra on 50gr i4064 and a wlr... he also has a finicky '06. He wanted to hop it up a bit and I countered with "do you want accuracy or speed???" with this rifle you aren't getting both... he is at 2850 fps+ in a 22" bbl. I suppose I could push it a bit but why??? It'll cloverleaf at 100 as it sits

thanks guys. The loading for my 3006 is not yet complete though. I am only getting 2600-2700FPS which is quite slow for the TTSX and proper expansion. Id say 300 yards max for proper expansion. The good news is that is MY personal absolute max on deer right now anyways and I now have my savage that is looking very promising for longer range shots.

The key here though is that my confidence is now restored with this rifle. I thought maybe I had a bad rifle but knowing it shoots the TTSX in 168gr well, I can either try a different powder next season with this bullet to get faster speeds while maintaining accuracy or look for another bullet to be able to try and stretch the legs on my 3006 to 400+ yards. I have only tried the TTSX and 150 grain accubonds... the 150 grain accubonds shot terribly which could simply be it is to light/short of a bullet for my barrel twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.