Finally ready for a good scope

Pahunter

Im lookin into a getting high quality scope. Ive been looking into Swarovski, they seem to be among the best. Alot of people seem to like nigthforce too. So i guess im looking for some input on the subject, including prices. thanks

I believe every manufacturer provides at least one model that's considered their best. There are variables such as the quality of glass, reticles, tube size, ect, not to mention the reputation of the company. You should write down what you're intention of use is and all the features in the scope that may be necessary.

Optics manufactured by Swarovski, Ziess,
S& B, Nightforce, US Optics, Kahles, Leupold, ect are all very good. These are expensive scopes. I personaly have found Leupold to manufacture some of the best for what I want. They carry a large selection and are a very good company to purchase from. Go to riflescopes.com. Once you determine your use, let us know, and we can go from there.

--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Jerry,

Just curious as to your bad experience with the 20X Super Sniper and was it resolved to your satisfaction. Was on the verg of ordering one.

Thanks.

Tim

Im not impressed with bushnell or nikon. I have had bad experiences in the field with both. I have a leupold VX-II on my browning Low Wall .243 and leupold seems to be the scope that all others are compared to. I looked through a swarovski scope(not sure the model) and was very impressed with the clarity. Last year in North Carolina deer hunting I had a shot at a doe moving across a clearing around 300 yards off. It was 6 am and that was the only shot she would offer. I couldnt see well enough to shoot through my bushnell elite. My grandfather was with me filming. He had his rifle with a leupold Vari-X III on it. Looking through his scope had sufficient light to shoot.

I do agree with Jerry to a point, but I believe money will always play a factor, we just try to get the very best of what we can afford. I also agree that some of the less expensive manufacturers provide comparable products and sometimes better ones. I have a number of different manufacturers, Bushnell, Tasco SS, Nikko, Hawke, Springfield, Redfield, IOR, and Leupold plus access to Zeiss to US Optics. I buy application specific. I also think Jerry has some good suggestions, but I don't necessarily agree that the the B&L is comparable to the Leupold. I have some very good Japanese glass, but side by side they are different. The question you have to ask yourself is, is the extra money worth the difference and sometimes the differences are very small. As I stated before, I prefer Leupold, but I will buy what fits the requirement.

--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

[ 10-07-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

timberflint, the Tasco 20X was foggy. Couldn't adjust the optics clearly. Sent it back for repair and it came back the same way. Others have reported no problems. I have used several 10X and a couple of 16X with no problems.

Rate the optic quality as above average. Mechanically, they have been very good.

Pahunter, that is why I suggest you look through as many as possible. Our eyes see differently. It is a rare shooter that has looked through a Leupold vs my Bushnell/B&L Elites and Nikons and said the Leupold was superior.

Maybe the Leupolds I have owned and looked through were off, at least for our eyes.

Last season, I hunted with my B&L Elite 4000 scope and could see game in light I could not see unaided. Again, an interesting difference. I assume that the ELite scopes were all focused/set up properly?

Anyhow, good luck with your quest. Just don't buy something just because it is expensive. Hey, this stuff costs bucks but sometime you can get what you want for a lot less.

PracTac, I do the same thing. Some companies simply don't make scopes to the parameters you need (why I ended up with that Pentax Lightseeker 30). That is why I put the scopes in specific categories.

Do either of you wear glasses? I do and most of the shooters that I have polled who don't like Leupold as much as B&L/Nikon also do. Wonder how significant that is.

Take care and good shooting,

Jerry

Pahunter, I guess it depends on what you define as best. The following are scopes I have direct experience with and can recommend. When I look for optics, money is not the deciding factor. Optical and mechanical quality come first.

Best overal value target scope: B&L 4000/4200. Downside is limited elevation adjustment. Optics and mechanics are superb.

For more money and a bit smaller field of view but more elevation adjustment, Nikon Monarch. These two will equal or beat the optical quality of just about everything out there at any price. Low light performance for these scopes are superb too.

Best value tactical scope: Elite 3200 10X. Awesome mechanically, optically about the same as leupold (maybe better).

Most elevation scope: Tasco Super Sniper 10X and 16X. Had bad experience with the 20X. Optically same/better then Leupold.

Also, have a look at the Pentax/Burris 30mm scopes. Playing with a lightseeker right now and am impressed. Except for the retarded target knob adjustments (8.5min per revolution - duh!!!), a good scope. Pretty pricey though. Optically not as good as the B&L/Nikons but pretty darn good.

With todays manufacturing, price does not always determine quality. Brands like Nikon and Bushnell Elite are at the front for lense quality and coatings, right now. Leupold and other European brands will catch up but they are so much more expensive that I find it hard to justify.

Best thing to do is look through as many scopes as you can. The difference will be obvious and the results may surprise you. They certainly did for me...

Jerry

European optics manufacturers have the best, when it comes to reliability,clarity and optical excellence.
S&B, Zeis/Hensold,Swarovski, are the leaders
Kahles areas good.
Gerhard, Nightforce come a close second.
Leupold, Doctor Optik,Nikon, IOR, the Bushnell elite come quite a ways back in 3rd place.
I haven't treid US Optics, but i have heared good and bad reports.
If i was going for a Leupold i would have one from Premier Reticles.
The Zeiss Conquest is a bargain and have much to offer, shame about the 1" tube, as are the hungarian S&B's available in the UK.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.