Finally joined the family

264junkie

Put the order in today for an RCBS Rock Chucker kit and a few case prep items and the terrifying realization hit me of how much this is actually going to cost me.:cool:
Ultimately I'll be realoading four long gun cartridges but have decided to start with my baby (264Win.) and move on from there.
At least I've got everything to prep my brass so when I can actually can buy bullets and powder they'll be ready to go...:D
I'll thank you all in advance as I've seen nothing but good things come from these forums.

welcome.and I think you will be really pleased with you buy.there is nothing like reloading your own ammo.even when it gets to you.the best thing about it is when you make one little ragged hole for the first time.and it keeps getting better as you learn more and more.

Congratulations on your purchase...yes those dollars do add up and they say it's cheaper to reload...well I guess it is per round but, once you start reloading you wind up shooting a whole lot more. Good luck and enjoy.

I just bought the same kit last week. Everything works great and good instructions on how to use everything. Good Luck!

I told my wife it would be cheaper for me to reload and so 2 Xmas's ago I got the kit....then she saw the bill where I got the kit, trimmer, brass, dies, powder, bullets and I was told to return it lol It's expensive to start out, but you start shooting more because you wind up making 50-100 bullets at a time with different formulas to try and find the best one. Now add that up @ $40/box of 20...that's $200 for 100 bullets....then load up another 100+ once you find the right formula. Now multiply that by several calibers and you are saving money. I've been doing it for @ 13 months now and I think I am finally at the point to where I'm saving money because I don't get to shoot that often. If you shoot alot it will add up quicker. Not too mention it's just fun watching bullets you made shoot tiny groups that are 1/2 as small as the factory ammo!

Cleaned out a corner of the basement this morning and I hope to buy materials for my first "reloading bench build" next week.
Any ammenities you wouldn't be without on your bench?
I haven't given it too much thought, but plan to have about a 5 foot long main workspace, about 24-30" wide(from the wall.)
I'll have bookcase like shelves on each end to about eye level with pegboard in between.

264junkie, make sure you have a set of good ear protectors with a chin strap...no reloader's bench should ever be without them. Your vision of a bench sounds pretty neat.

264junkie, make sure you have a set of good ear protectors with a chin strap...no reloader's bench should ever be without them. Your vision of a bench sounds pretty neat.

I actually just got back from ARMY NAVY with an old flak jacket and bomb difusers helmet. Should be able to use those for just the first year or so....By then I should be relatively sure I won't lose more than a finger or ear in the blast:rolleyes:

It's not the blast or an unforetunate reloading incident I'm worried about, just make sure you have a set of good ear protectors with a chin strap:D

welcome. It is always hard to bite the bullet and just fork over the doe deeded to get started but trust all of us when we say it is well worth it. It fills time, gives you something to talk to others about on this forum and most of all, if you care about getting accurate rounds down range then this is a very good move to make. Hope things go well and dont be afraid to ask questions here if you need to. Good luck.

Cleaned out a corner of the basement this morning and I hope to buy materials for my first "reloading bench build" next week.
Any ammenities you wouldn't be without on your bench?
I haven't given it too much thought, but plan to have about a 5 foot long main workspace, about 24-30" wide(from the wall.)
I'll have bookcase like shelves on each end to about eye level with pegboard in between.

Sounds good! I was able to fit this one, built from these plans

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

in the utility room:

Readyforproduction.jpg

I like to work standing up so the top is 42-3/4" off the floor which has turned out to be perfect for me - I'm 5'-8" tall. I left the sliding doors off the front of the shelves. Other than that it was built to the plans. Cut the pieces in the shop to the dimensions specified, carried them to the basement,

Topless.jpg

assembled it, gave the top 4 coats of varnish to seal it up, bolted on the presses, and went to work.

I've been using it for about 4 years now and it's been about perfect. Nice and solid, plenty of storage, having the balance beam scale at eye level like they are in this picture (taken right after I got the press mounted) is perfect.

Readytogo-1C.jpg

Fitch

Great looking bench, nice craftsmanship. I think you made the right choice to leave the sliding doors off...as soon as I looked at the plans the first thought that came to mind was I'd be slidimg the doors left and right looking for something and everytime I needed something I'd be cursing the doors. Without them, at a glance you can see everything...makes it more accesible.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.