Finally got to shoot my 300 Norma.

DJ Fergus

I got my 300 Norma together yesterday. Stayed up till 1am bedding it Friday night. I already know that I have excessive free bore ( weatherby like freebore) so I'm not going to get to excited yet until I get some more time behind it.
I put about 13 factory rounds down it & cleaning for break in. Started shooting some 225 elds trying to find where max pressure would show up. I got to charges 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, & 88.6 of N570. I ended up with a 300 yard 1.25" group. 2930-2943fps 13es. The funny thing is ( and I have saw this same thing happen several times before) , that I once increased my charge on up into this node, there was less recoil and less felt percussion. It was much more comfortable to shoot. I figure the is another node up around 3000 fps but it is so comfortable to shoot right now for what it is. I am asking myself do I really want to try for the next node? Rifle, bipod, sling scope & cheek rest... fully rigged less ammo weighs 15lb less the ammo.

Sounds good! Just about to build mine. There is another node at 3030 with H1000 as a friend has one shooting nicely. Around 85-86 gr.
Punch it in your ballistics solver and see if it's worth the extra devoloment.

Do you know if the Norma case will work in a Remington BDL floorplate with a wyatts box?

Yes it will work in a wyatts mbe-3. Thats what I have and I can get just two rounds in the magazine, but that's fine with me. If you have a factory Remington action, you will have to open it up a little like shown on wyatt's website. At the length I'm loading now, I could have got away with a factory 3.7" windowed mag box, but I may end up going longer. I'm loading 3.638 oal to tip.

Excelllent thank you! 2 spare rounds is enough!
That's what I thought. I didn't really want a long magazine sticking out. Go to short action precision and check out the two round holder. They have them in a size that will work for 338lm or 300.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-172723.png
    Screenshot_20190603-172723.png
    337.1 KB · Views: 196
Yes Wyatt's mbe-3 is what I have and will work. The two round holder is just a Velcro on holder to stick to the side of the stock for quick acessa to two additional rounds

Yes Wyatt's mbe-3 is what I have and will work. The two round holder is just a Velcro on holder to stick to the side of the stock for quick acessa to two additional rounds

Ahhhh now i understand!

Yes i have SAP stick ons on my comp gun also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.