Finally got my terrapin x

Thatonekid

I've finally received my long awaited terrapin x and I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda disappointed in it's performance.

Over the years I've owned lots of RFs including the old terrapin as well as the plrf 10.

The terrapin x is advised as a 3280 yard RF and in perfect ranging conditions (in relatively low light) I could not get it to range past 2200 yards. That's 1000 yards less than advertised. I got my plrf 10 when I owned one to range out to 4980 yards which is much farther than its advertised ranging capabilities.

Is anybody else dissatisfied like I am? Maybe everything I was ranging was farther than I thought?

I know I will rarely need to range past 2200 yards but I do plan on building a big 375 on day for ELR which is like to shoot much past 2200 yards. My 338 Ackley is capable of shooting farther than that.

Should I make a complaint to Vectronix?

Interesting feedback. Keep us posted! I have been very tempted upgrade to the new Terrapin from my original Terrapin which continues to effectively perform very well beyond 3000 yards. I decided to await actual feedback from purchasers before upgrading. My Terrapin is used primarily for ELR target shooting where many of the convenience features, while attractive, are not neccessary. For LR hunting, I have been quite satisied with the fully integrated capability of the Gunwerks G7 and Sig 2400 RF's.

Should I make a complaint to Vectronix?

Make a complaint?

It might serve you better to contact them simply to inquire about the performance but also give them a complete rundown on the conditions during your testing. With full disclosure, they might ask you to return it for a run through their lab for testing. It's always possible that a lesser performing item got past QC accidentally.

Regards.

Interesting....in similar conditions I can range large rock slabs and buildings that far with my sub $500 Kilo 2200....I would certainly mess with it more and see if the spots you were possibly farther, as you stated, but it should really do more than that, should it not be the case.

I only had mine out for a short period when I got it two weeks ago before vacation. It seemed a little weak to me as well. I plan on setting it up soon to run it through the paces. It was bright and hot out and was ranging foliage, so I will give it another run and see. It didn't seem as strong as my previous terrapin and PLR15. I am going to set it up beside my buddies PLR10 and compare them side by side. I will also compare it to my Leica HDB 3000 Bino's if they ever ship.

Last edited:
I've had mine for a couple of weeks and would agree that in my very limited testing it's definitely not on par with the original Terrapin. I was hoping that it would range a 24" plate at a mile. I have not had the opportunity to test it on steel yet, so take this with a grain of salt. I have ranged rocks, hillsides, houses, etc, and have gotten fairly consistent returns on large objects out to around 1800 yards (some slightly farther). I have not received ranges on objects that I thought it should easily hit at around 2300 yards. I am a little disappointed so far, but like I said, I haven't had a chance to range steel yet, and my opinion could change once I get more time with it.

I really like mine so far. Even in the worst conditions of midday sun with 90+ degree heat and a hazy smoke in the air from wildfires I was able to regularly and consistently hit targets to about 2000 yards. This morning standing in full sun ranging things in shadow I was able to get out to over 2800 yards. That's the farthest I could see anything to range so it may even go further.

I can't get mine to find my kestrel. Just flashes Bluetooth signal. No bueno. I have it paired and Bluetooth turned on. Other than that finally got used to it

I'm a moron you have to go into kestrel and add new device and search for it. It's on euro optic website but non in manual.

Even though it was raining and foggy out last night (which has been our story for weeks now) I was able to take the PLRF10, Terrapin X and Leica HD-B 2000 out and compare them. The Terrapin and PLRF10 were nearly identical for max range in these conditions as it was raining pretty hard and foggy. Both peaked out at 1350 yards while ranging trees with consistent returns. I had got a return a few times with the Terrapin at 15-1700 yards on a rock slide, but not consistent. The Leica's maxed out at 1050 with consistent results. I took a few pics. The power Trestle is at 1300 yards. The image with the Bluetooth symbol is the Terrapin X. We have the PLRF10 fitted with a Swaro booster for extra magnification and is a shade darker because of it. Pics were done holding my phone up to them.

The Terrapin app is pretty cool. You can use it to trigger a measurement remotely or while you are looking through it to verify aiming point. The Azimuth, angle and distance are then displayed on my phone. I only wish it integrated with the Applied Ballistics App. like it does with the Link Kestrel.

My HD-B 3000's are supposed to arrive today and I hope to get them out soon in better conditions and compare all three.

Attachments

• 20180801_185105.jpg
    20180801_185105.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180801_190137.jpg
    20180801_190137.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 20180801_190243.jpg
    20180801_190243.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 353
I made it out again last night. It was cloudy with little direct sun. I run the PLRF10 and Vectronix X side by side. We ranged rocks and trees at 1600, 1700, and close to 1900 with no issues and very close and repeatable results. We then went up the road to the power lines and ranged rocks and grass up to 2990 yards. At 2990, the X would skip reading every once in a while. It was dependent on the clouds and sun. Down at 27-2800, it ranged every time. The PLRF10 seems to have a very slight edge at the 3k mark. The Leica HDB 3000's are in hand. I walked outside and ranged to 1400 in the fog, that is the furthest I can get without going for a ride.

I must have spoke too soon because I took my terrapin X out this evening and got 3000+ Yards multiple times. So weird how the first time I took it out though it wasn't ranging as well as tonight. Must need a break in period lol!

I can't get mine to find my kestrel. Just flashes Bluetooth signal. No bueno. I have it paired and Bluetooth turned on. Other than that finally got used to it

I had same trouble thought what the hell!! turns out you have to update kestrel then it will in a flash.. and it links almost instantly when from off to on.. there is a you tube video on how to do it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.