Finally got my steel plate range set up.

Swift One

I have had an interest in long range shooting and hunting since a friend introduced me to it a couple of year ago. I always thought that shooting past 200yds would be way out of me league until I tried it.

Being in NW Indiana (Flatland Central) and having quite a bit of access to the crop fields for predator hunting, I realized that I have a lot of areas available for long range shooting.

Anyways, here is the first long range shooting set up that I have made. No understand, I am new to this sport so long range for me is probably warm up for most of you guys but one day I will achieve the 1000yd mark... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My fiend shooting my Encore 22-250 at the 400yd mark (you can faintly see the pink plates in that distance)....
HPIM1364.jpg

A shot group from the 22-250 at the 400yd mark..
HPIM1366.jpg

I am going to have a 7mm-08 barrel from match grade machine made in the near future for better accuracy but the 22-250 factory barrel did pretty good....

Looks like fun. And remember, no one started shooting at 1k. You have to work up to that so anyone who has done it has been where you are right now themselves.

By the way, your gongs look great but you might want to substitute the rope with bailing wire. It stands up to jackets and lead spraying off the steel a little better.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, your gongs look great but you might want to substitute the rope with bailing wire. It stands up to jackets and lead spraying off the steel a little better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea Goodgrouper.....

Encore! Gotta love em! I have 2 but what I wanted to ask is have you had your trigger worked? Really stock Encore triggers suck!

Look up Mike Bellm's Encore site, he's got everything you would ever need for Encore trigger jobs, money well spent.

400 great place to start, just remember an Encore is a one shot gun, dont sweat it for a ultra tight group at that distance....Every shot is different from the rest, cheek weld, each shot is special in its own way, nothing is exactly like it was for the last shot! Decide what size target you want to be able to hit at what range and if your hitting it evreytime grin and be happy! I like a 6" circle and just keep backing it up till you cant hit it anymore! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice train track by the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Looks like a nice set up. The first step is the biggest. It comes together quick after that.

Nice job. Got a suggestion for a very portable/cheap tgt. stand u may be interested in. We get 3 pieces of rebar, 2 copper or galvanized plumbing T's, pound 2 of the rebar into the ground set the T's on top, raise them slightly, and slide the other rebar thru the T top holes parallel to the ground. This is the most portable system we could ever think up, and it will support over 100 lbs of steel. Just a suggestion if u wanna set up a lot of steel at 1 time. Sure has worked for us. I'll post a pic tomorrow when i get home.

Thks. Ern. Another thing i do is to keep an eye out when you're driving around for truck straps that people lose on the road. They have big S-hooks that r closed on 1 end that r great for hanging steel.

1 other thing about the thin "S" hooks u see in the photo. U can pick those up on the road also. They're attached to the rubber bungie cords everybody loses on the road...or u can get a box full of them at a custom canvas shop or someplace that repairs/makes boat covers. I used to pick this stuff up on the road, but the wife hates it when i stop for a road freebie.

If you setup farther out consider placing your steel plates side by side touching so you get a larger target that will catch bullets easier. I would paint them white, the bullet splats will show up much better. Hang the targets close to the ground, you want to catch low shots and don't want them to go under the steel. I would also consider using S-hooks and either light chain or old pieces of fire-hose. The hose can be mooched from any fire-fighting sources, they throw away a lot of older stuff. We have a very simple stand that you might consider, easy to make and dirt cheap. If someone would like to post an image I can email it. Remember that the farther out you go the larger the steel you will need but your bullet energies will be diminishing so you may get by with thinner steel sheets.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.