FINALLY got a rifle to learn LR shooting with

Was out shooting my surgeon today. Couple tips for you. I loaned a brand new Christiansen

i was shooting mY 300RUM SURGEON today. Have three 300RUMS. couple tips for you. I loaned a new Christensen to a friend for an elk hunt. I warned him about the rules for shooting It. When I got it back he had burned the barrel in 40 rounds. You cannot shoot these things fast. 3 and cool and they last a long time.

All of mine are more sensitive to primers than powder. I use Nosler and Norma brass. H1000. The target pictured has 4 groups. I shot it today in 15mph gusting winds. This load is 90.0 grains H1000. 210 SMKs. .010 off lands. 3195fps. No pressure signs at all. Have gone to 93 grains. All groups are same load.
primers
Top left is Rem 9-1/2
Top right is Fed Match 215s
Bottom right is CCI 250
Bottom left is WIN LARGE RIFLE MAG

The gun shoots one round bughole at 100 normally off bags. Has shot 3"+ @ 1000. These were shot off a bipod. I have a Rem Sendero too. It shoots 1/4" groups.
Have a rifle I built with PTG match reamer. Proof 28" carbon 1:9.4 barrel on a Defiant action for heavies. One hole rifle. If you take care not to get yours hot, it will last a long time. If you load for it and use the right primers I'm sure it will shoot sub 1/2" for you.
WOW!!
40 rounds??!?!?!?
It must have been smokin!!!
i shoot one
Let it sit for at least five minutes
Shoot another and so on. Never even strings of three.

If you got that rifle to "learn to shoot long range", put a brake on it.
A .300RUM is punishing. You might find very quickly it is not much fun to shoot more than 10-15 rounds a day. I know I sure don't like to shoot mine like that, and mine is a 15.5# LR rifle.
In all honesty, I would have picked a moderate 6.5mm or 7mm to learn on.
My thoughts exactly!

1) Brake
2) 20MOA Rail with Lug such as Nightforce
3) Good Rings, Nightforce, TPS, Badger
4) Trigger (Jewell, TriggerTech, Timney)
I remember back in high school we would get together and play tackle football. No helmet, pads just shorts and t-shirt. Thought we were cool to take all that punishment. Looking back I realize it wasnt cool when at least knee pads and elbow pads would have been nice. I started racing dirt bikes and wore work boots and flannel shirt. I didnt want to look like a dude all dressed up. The experienced racers looked like soldiers in star wars. After a head first plow over a jump, I too looked like star wars. With a rifle that has considerable recoil, I cannot see why one would not want a brake (break). I never shoot without ear protection, even 22 rimfire, so the loud factor has no bearing on to brake or not to brake. I used to be "tough" and didnt want a break and shooting groups one day a friend slipped in an empty and I flinched badly. I prefer a break, a heavier gun and a light trigger, all to prevent flinching. We are talking long range hunting. Pretty hard to shoot much distance at all with a 7 lb 460 weatherby and 5 lb trigger. I can say to you, hold still I'm gonna crack you on the forehead with this hammer handle. Hold still I am gonna crack you again on same spot. I dont think anyone of us would not flinch.
That's the same thing I was thinking. Developing a flinch, even a slight one, is not a good thing for long range shooting.
muzzle break yes!
My thoughts exactly!

It will get Break/Brake fellas lol I've always thought "brake" because it slows down recoil, like "brakes" on a car. "Break" would imply it's damaging something, right?

The correct term is "Brake" not "Break"
That 300 RUM is a great unit, and most that I have played with shot
very well, indeed, once a load was developed.
May I suggest you try a Triggertech trigger? They are superior to
the Timney, IMHO. Dave.
Ill look into them, I'm open to all suggestions.

The correct term is "Brake" not "Break"
That 300 RUM is a great unit, and most that I have played with shot
very well, indeed, once a load was developed.
May I suggest you try a Triggertech trigger? They are superior to
the Timney, IMHO. Dave.
I put trigger techs in all the guns I build. One of the smiths was a calvin elite fan till I finally got him to shoot one of mine. The Gooochie crowd like the Calvin for the Bling but every shooter I know is moving to the TriggerTechs. Amazing tech.

I believe I would trade in the friend lol
I sorta did. Made him buy me a 9.4 twist Proof 28". Built a new rifle. Hated giving up the titanium muzzle break. Not sure why Chis used a 5/8 nut and bolt thread on mag 30s. Now I have a Christensen/Proof hybrid. Gave me the opportunity to blueprint the 700 action, which certainly needed it. Just finished putting it together. Breaking it in now. Already Shoots my Surgeon loads 1/4" @ 100. Oddly, every 300RUM Ive owned or tuned for others shoots the 210 SMKs over 90.0 grains of H1000 extremely well. Haven't had a chance to stretch it out yet. Only have 25 rounds thru it. The Chris barrels are lighter but I feel the Proofs are solid match quality stuff. Action is still in the Chris stock. In the end, I'm not sure if I gained or lost on the deal but I have a great rifle I can trust. Chis's have been hit ot miss for me. Only decision left is whether I leave it in its stock, put in AI magazine bottom metal or put it in a chassis. It will just go into the safe while my kids wait to inherit it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.