FINALLY got a rifle to learn LR shooting with

Overkill338

It's a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 RUM. This is one that was suggested when I asked awhile back. For now I'm going to swap my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 onto it, but plan to get something better. The fella I got it from said it shoots the 220 ELD-X into a 1/2" at 100.

So, am I on the right track ? Suggestions for what to do next? Should I get a 20 moa base 1-piece with rings, or do a Weaver mount and rings separate?

Thanks

20201119_115427_copy_1623x525.jpg

Depending on how far you want to shoot, get a 20 or 30 MOA base and bed it onto the action and put some quality things on it. Let us know how it works out for you.
Bed it with epoxy the same way you would the action? Sorry, thats the first time I've heard of that.

1000 yards is about all I'll ever get to do, and its quite a drive for that. I did some checking with the Hornady app for the 220 ELD, and zero at 200 yards, I need 23 moa to get to 1000. The scope I have only has 44 moa total. If it's not going to make a big difference, I'll just get the 30. Later I want another Zeiss like I had on my Sendero.

Bed it with epoxy the same way you would the action? Sorry, thats the first time I've heard of that.

1000 yards is about all I'll ever get to do, and its quite a drive for that. I did some checking with the Hornady app for the 220 ELD, and zero at 200 yards, I need 23 moa to get to 1000. The scope I have only has 44 moa total. If it's not going to make a big difference, I'll just get the 30. Later I want another Zeiss like I had on my Sendero.
Great rifle. I have taken 6 of the same rem700 lr and redid them for friends. All in 300rum. Loved 210s and 215s with h1000 and 225s with r33 and n570. Bedding, trigger spring and bed rail. I epoxy it to the receiver, but that is just me. Guarantees not to come off up un the hills. Easy enough to remove in the shop.Congrats!

If you handload. Load em heavy and slow to hopefully help conserve barrel life. Also notice no brake. RUMs are fun, even without them, but I can only shoot a few before I have to remind myself it's like getting punched in the face and you just gotta suck it up. That will definitely help with barrel life though.

Where in VA you shooting long? I am in Fxburg. Not much here in for LR.

If you got that rifle to "learn to shoot long range", put a brake on it.
A .300RUM is punishing. You might find very quickly it is not much fun to shoot more than 10-15 rounds a day. I know I sure don't like to shoot mine like that, and mine is a 15.5# LR rifle.
In all honesty, I would have picked a moderate 6.5mm or 7mm to learn on.

If you handload. Load em heavy and slow to hopefully help conserve barrel life. Also notice no brake. RUMs are fun, even without them, but I can only shoot a few before I have to remind myself it's like getting punched in the face and you just gotta suck it up. That will definitely help with barrel life though.

Where in VA you shooting long? I am in Fxburg. Not much here in for LR.
If you got that rifle to "learn to shoot long range", put a brake on it.
A .300RUM is punishing. You might find very quickly it is not much fun to shoot more than 10-15 rounds a day. I know I sure don't like to shoot mine like that, and mine is a 15.5# LR rifle.
In all honesty, I would have picked a moderate 6.5mm or 7mm to learn on.

I shot it today, and it seems to kick quite a bit less than my .375 Ruger. I've shot the .375, 25 times in one sitting. But, considering I'm not going to hunt with it, and I do want to be precise, so I'm looking for someone to thread it for a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.