Finally got a nice bull elk! 210ABLR did its job

All,

One of my longest standing dreams has finally come true. A 370+ bull would have been nice but I have always wanted at least a 350 bull. After taking a look at this bull, I didn't care if he was 330 or 380, he just looked good. With his long sharp brows, devil points and drop tine, he just look flat out wicked. To my surprise his official SCI score was 352-2/8". This was a Yellowstone National Park migratory bull taken about 25 miles from the park border. I saw tons of bulls. Lots of 6x6 bulls and many in the 330-360" range. I passed a lot of bulls waiting for the right looking bull. Some had busted tines or short 3rds etc...

Shot was 598 yards and I'm sad to say that I missed a couple shots due to very high and very inconsistent wind but finally my guide saw where one of them hit and he said "right under his nose". I said, "That's all I need". With a windage correction, I squeezed the 7oz. Jewell trigger and my guide said "He's upside down"! That one hit the high shoulder dead center on the spine. I figured the 210 ACCUBOND would have become an ACCUBOMB hitting all that bone but to my surprise the bullet looked textbook and the damage looked anything like an explosion had taken place. The hide on the opposite side had caught the bullet.

Excellent bull my friend!!! Now days, breaking 350 on a clean 6x6 is a great accomplishment!!! Congrats!!!

I want to start by saying there are only a few people on this forum that I respect and look forward to their posts. You are one of the few and thank you for your honest informative contributions to this forum.
Congrats on a darn nice Yellowstone bull elk! I live near and hunt the northern boundary and it is amazing every time a guy goes out!

Right on !

Awesome bull and respect for your honesty in the shoot !
Especially like your answer and keeping your cool in response to that one guy dissin' you , not every hunt is textbook, more so when the wind comes into play, being able to recover, correct and complete the job quickly is commendable,

Personally I don't care for Europeans dictating hunting ethics from across the pond, we all know how most of them want to disarm American gun owners, The last thing we need is some self righteous Euro telling us how we should hunt !

Thanks for the bullet perfomance report and the pics, I finally got me 5 boxes each of the 190's and 210's to mess with this winter !

Someday, when I grow up I hope to go on an elk hunt too ! Meanwhile I'll keep busting moose !

Sorry but you missed just in front of his nose ?? From the vitals it's at LEAST 3 feet and you were adjusting for wind. If the wind was inconsistent then what made you think the next shot would be on ? You missed the wind call by better than full value 20mph minimum. I am a bit surprised but you paid for the hunt and you're not going to get anything if you don't shoot at it. Maybe switch to an AR platform. Shooting an elk and shooting at an elk are different things. It's easy to Monday quarterback it from a keyboard but I have passed on shots for various reasons. I've taken several animals that had horrible wounds and some with scars. Glad this didn't turn out that way. Stuff to think about I guess.

Sorry but you missed just in front of his nose ?? From the vitals it's at LEAST 3 feet and you were adjusting for wind. If the wind was inconsistent then what made you think the next shot would be on ? You missed the wind call by better than full value 20mph minimum. I am a bit surprised but you paid for the hunt and you're not going to get anything if you don't shoot at it. Maybe switch to an AR platform. Shooting an elk and shooting at an elk are different things. It's easy to Monday quarterback it from a keyboard but I have passed on shots for various reasons. I've taken several animals that had horrible wounds and some with scars. Glad this didn't turn out that way. Stuff to think about I guess.

I think post 42 sums it all up well.

Really?
Have you read this entire thread?
My suggestion is to learn from this forum instead of talking crap about a sucsessful hunter with a hell of a nice bull elk that just so happens to contribute a ton of info for us to learn from and compare our data to.
Not every situation is ideal! Congrats on a **** fine hunt

Lot of those guys probably barely have 10-20 elk under their belt.And zero that go 350.Hunted elk whole life and we hardley have bulls like that in NW and timber is twice as thick, 1 guide in the whole area is all that can make it onmostly rag horns.Hunts are full of "should have" Very easy to pull trigger once you start,its the hunt adrenaline goes, see it on the outdoor channnel.You finish the job, all that much better for you and guide. That use to be called hunting.

Man, what a great bull! Congrats on a successful hunt and great terminal results on the 210 ABLR. Hopefully I can break the 350 mark someday as well!

A bit late for the party; yet, congratulations are in order.

A great trophy!!!

2hhj40l.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.