Finally found what I was looking for

Clem Bronkoski

I've been searching many years for a nice M1 Garand but every time I found one the price was really high for the condition. Well all that changed on Thursday when I went to my local gun shop. The owner, a friend of mine, had setting on the counter a competiton grade M1 Garand from the CMP complete with a CMP hard case, clip with ammo and canvas sling. The rifle is in excellent condition. When I asked him the price my jaw almost hit the floor. I gave him a deposit right there. Went back Friday and gave him the balance and took it directly to the range. I sighted in in with some old handloads of 180 gr Rem Corelokts the proceeded to shoot off some WWII vintage ammo that my friend gave me (a full bandalero belt with 10 clips of ammo). What an accurate rifle. I was shooting from a sitting position shooting at an 8" 200 yard gong and a 12" 300 yard gong. Someone had painted the darn things green which is OK for a scope. But for a peep sight with a thick post and my old eyes they were really difficult to see. None the less I was still able to hit them about 50% of the time. I had a blast with it. I shot the M1 previously but never owned one. Now I do.

Well congratulations. It's always good to get some of your hearts desires in life, otherwise, what's the use? Right?
I had, until recently, been on the hunt for a .30 M1 Carbine, and like you said the price was always more than I thought it should be. Luck smiled on me about a month ago though. Hope you have many enjoyable hours with it!

Well congratulations. It's always good to get some of your hearts desires in life, otherwise, what's the use? Right?
I had, until recently, been on the hunt for a .30 M1 Carbine, and like you said the price was always more than I thought it should be. Luck smiled on me about a month ago though. Hope you have many enjoyable hours with it!
Likewise Johnnyk

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Garand club. My first Garand is a USMC O-66 rebuild that hasn't been fired since rebuilt with the grease pen markings still.

Congratulations! Garrands are great. I've only got 1 now, but have had a couple of others over the years. I hope you went straight home and did a though cleaning with hot soapy water. WW2 ammo is corrosive and will rust your rifle quickly.

It was a good thing when the U.S. got them back from being in storage from the Philippines and Guam . They do a fine job at the CMP with them .

Congratulations! Garrands are great. I've only got 1 now, but have had a couple of others over the years. I hope you went straight home and did a though cleaning with hot soapy water. WW2 ammo is corrosive and will rust your rifle quickly.
Didn't use soap and water but stripped it down and cleaned it good with CLP. I have it standing muzzle down in my safe now. I noticed when i got it home that there was no cleaning rod in the butt stock. So to keep it all originally complete I ordered a new, military surplus one I found on Ebay.
Funny thing today. I put the canvas sling on the way I thought it should go and just for giggles went on line to see how to install it. Naturally I had it on backwards. The hook type clip goes on the butt stock not the forearm attachment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.