Finally!!!....completed my 6.5-25 WSSM

6.5x61Super

..what started out as a Winchester M70 Super Shadow in 25 WSSM has turned into this BEHEMOTH!!

Gunsmithing completed by Jim Caudill

Caliber: 6.5 - 25 WSSM
Action: Winchester Super Short
Barrel: Pac-Nor 30" S/S Super Match, 5R 1:8
Brake: Harrell's
Scope: Sightron SII Big Sky 36x42 1/8 min dot set in Burris Signature Rings with +0.010" front inserts, -0.010" rear inserts
Stock: Richard's Microfit with (14) coats of Auto lacquer

I will break in the barrel this weekend!!
I am hoping for 140 gr. Berger VLD's @3,033 fps. from RL-17

65wssm1-2.jpg

65wssm3-2.jpg

65wssm5.jpg

65wssm7.jpg

65wssm2-2.jpg

65wssm6.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking rig!! 3033fps might be a bit much to ask for with a 140, but you might get there with a 30" pipe. I can get the 140s close to 2800 with a 24" barrel, but the accuracy is around 2720. I'd be very interested in how the Re 17 works. I've got 5 lbs on the bench to try, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Chris

Man those are some sweet setups!!!! I like the colors of the laminate. Make sure to give us the range results.

Brent

I'd be very interested in how the Re 17 works. I've got 5 lbs on the bench to try, just haven't gotten to it yet.

from the current testing....some are getting anywhere from 75 to 150 fps more using RL-17....as far as accuracy......I use Quickloads Software in conjunction with Chris Long's OBT Theories [Optimum Barrel Time] to save on time/money in components using the conventional ladder testing...

Quickloads puts me right at the 4th node.....RL-17 is supposed to be the TICKET!!

I have #3 of RL-17 specifically for this baby!!

Yes indeed Brent.....I have close to 25 man-hours getting the stock the way I wanted it...Richard's makes a nice stock....BUT a lot of labor is involved to get it where you want it!!

Last edited:
some are getting anywhere from 75 to 150 fps more using RL-17

Man, I'd sure like to see 150 fps gain, won't hold my breath, but even 75 fps would be nice. Assuming it's accurate.

From the pics it looks like you're turning your necks. What do you have for a neck size in your chamber and what are you turning to?

Chris

chamber = 0.299"

Factory necks = 0.020"

Turned necks = 0.016"

0.016" x 2 = 0.032" + 0.264" = 0.296" loaded round.

I also anneal my shoulder and necks...

I'm liking everything about it!

Can you tell me the advantages of using the wssm hull?

I've seen others use it and I'm curious.

aside from the NEGATIVE publicity received from previous WSSM owners and non-owners.....several things to keep in mind.

1. On the 25 WSSM, case necks are from 0.020" - 0.021" THICK!

I got a Forster bump/bushing die from Sinclair..turn my neck's down and use the appropriate sized bushing for 0.002" neck tension.

2. I anneal my brass to keep from work hardening the necks/shoulder.

3. From speaking with other's..some have gotten (20) reloads on one case...one good consequence of the thick brass...

4. I can achieve nearly 6.5 - 284 velocities with less powder and subsequently will see longer barrel life.

My goal was not to shoot sanctioned 1000 yard matches....but rather to shoot live furry varmints at "extreme" ranges!!

BTW...there is a fella who won the 2005 1000 yard World Open with a 6.5-25WSSM.

Heck...you can pick up used WSSM rifles [Super Shadow] for under $350.....and start from there...

yes indeed Brent!

btw on a side note...sent you a PM...any chance you could measure the length on one of those .308 Hornady 178 gr. A-MAX's...

thanks...........need it for my Quick Loads..

got it..thanks...

Last edited:
"4. I can achieve nearly 6.5 - 284 velocities with less powder and subsequently will see longer barrel life."

Maybe, but I would think you will have to go to higher pressures to do it. Negating any advantage for barrel life.

Nevertheless I like the round and rifle set up.

well...last Sunday morning was definitely BETTER as far as wind conditions was concerned....still read 7 - 10 mph quartering to broadside from righ to left.

This group was the 15th to 24th shots:

fire-formed brass, 0.002" neck tension

The far flier was wind-induced [8th shot], the closer flier was MY FAULT...the other (8) went into the same hole!!

65trg3.jpg

I've been contemplating a 6.5 for my next rifle. This is looking pretty nice.

Question: Maybe I missed it but why are you not using .243WSSM brass? Is it because the .223WSSM brass has thicker necks?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.