FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

I go by Trigicon regularly (on my way to my neice's house. It's surrounded by a chain link fence topped with razor wire...... Kind of out of place in the industrial park they are located in.....

My issue with Trigicon is their consumer offerings are overpriced compared to everyone else. Trigicon made it's fortume as a first tier government supplier of weapons sighting systems so they have the 'We sell to the government and the government has deep pockets' attitude. Fine for DCMA or TaCom but not for a consumer, like me.

Consumers are cost aware, the gummit ain't. The gummit spends your money, not theirs.

I just mounted a Trigicon ACOG on a 308 Semi auto Garand style action for a friend (Interesting mount as the scope mount on this rifle isn't a rail nor is it rings in the sense of the word. It's actually a machined dovetail 3 point mounting system he had made just for the rifle. The mount is quick detach with 3 winged fixing screws and I'm not at all fond of it but it's not mine).... so I got to play with the scope a bit. I don't see the value (over $1900 bucks retail) versus say, a Leupold or even a Vortex Razor in it.

It had that really neat 'Tritium' ambient lighting for the reticle illumination but other than that, it was like any other optic I've peered through. Nothing out of the ordinary and I suspect that Trigicon sources components from wherever. Keep in mind that no consumer grade optical glass is gound in this country anymore. Lens' are ground here for astronomy devices and weapons systems but you and I can't afford the price of admission.

I didn't shoot it so I can't comment on the accuracy, if, it will shoot the box or optical abberations (I just looked through it in the shop). It's heavy, I will say that and the dials are nicely engraved but I don't even know if it has a positive zero stop. The clicks are crisp and it has nice workmanship but it should have for the price.

He didn't pay 1900, he got it through a friend who happens to be an employee of Trigicon and while he never told me what he paid, I have to assume it was substantially less.

IMO, if I were to buy one it would have to be substantially less......

My issue with Trigicon is their consumer offerings are overpriced compared to everyone else. Trigicon made it's fortume as a first tier government supplier of weapons sighting systems so they have the 'We sell to the government and the government has deep pockets' attitude. Fine for DCMA or TaCom but not for a consumer, like me.

Consumers are cost aware, the gummit ain't. The gummit spends your money, not theirs.

IMO, if I were to buy one it would have to be substantially less......

Lol, I hear you. IIRC, I read "somewhere" that Mil providers such as Trijicon are not allowed to sell their gear to the consumer market at a price point lower than their current Mil contract. If that proves to be true, they're essentially locked into that price; good, bad or indifferent.

With the going rate of the "battle rifle" style optics from S&B, USO, NF & even the new Razor line from Vortex, the ACOG isn't that far from the norm if at all.

t

trijicon isn't even a player in the consumer market. one of the last scopes I saw in cabelas the turrets on it were worse than a BSA, They were the worst click turrets I have ever turned. felt like I was clicking a kids toy. The last tactical scope they released was priced at like $3500 or some obscene amount. I bet they didn't sell very many.

trijicon isn't even a player in the consumer market. one of the last scopes I saw in cabelas the turrets on it were worse than a BSA, They were the worst click turrets I have ever turned. felt like I was clicking a kids toy. The last tactical scope they released was priced at like $3500 or some obscene amount. I bet they didn't sell very many.

I just mounted one so they sold at least one.....

Again, strictly IMO, the value received for the funds spent isn't in line with other optics but then, I don't own one, I just got to fondle one for a short time.

I'm not into tacticool anyway. I'm into hunting.

I want to revive this thread with a question that I want answered. Do either the Burris Veracity or Steiner GS3 compare to the Zeiss HD5? I love the FFP and Parallax adjustment of the Burris over the Steiner and Zeiss but are those advantages at the sacrifice of glass quality? I know the Steiner/Zeiss will have Schott Glass but so does Minox and they suck... How does Hi-Lume compare to C.A.T. and LotuTec coatings?

Anyway I wanted to bring some more discussion to the table because I am looking at buying one of the three scopes and really want to know the Steiner/Zeiss price is justified or not.

Thanks,

Robert.

I want to revive this thread with a question that I want answered. Do either the Burris Veracity or Steiner GS3 compare to the Zeiss HD5? I love the FFP and Parallax adjustment of the Burris over the Steiner and Zeiss but are those advantages at the sacrifice of glass quality? I know the Steiner/Zeiss will have Schott Glass but so does Minox and they suck... How does Hi-Lume compare to C.A.T. and LotuTec coatings?

Anyway I wanted to bring some more discussion to the table because I am looking at buying one of the three scopes and really want to know the Steiner/Zeiss price is justified or not.

Thanks,

Robert.
Lon

Do a custom search on the top right corner on Burris veracity and you'll find a nice evaluation by Bruce.

It must be Beretta that listened.....maybe to the cash cow bottom line. Burris isn't Burris anymore. Burris is Beretta. And Steiner is Beretta. And if Burris starts looking like Steiner that's because both of them are Beretta owned and now really just trade names for Beretta. The trade name that gets stamped on a Beretta produced product will be the one that adds the most to the Beretta bottom line.

My brother-in-law has "Danner" boots made in China. They do not even have Vibram soles, like my old USA Danner Ft. Lewis boots do. My LL Bean Cresta Hiker boots made by AKU, which is an Italian company, have Vibram soles, and are made in Europe in the AKU factory, for close to the Chinese-built Danner price. World of difference in build quality, but not much difference in price. I think the actual big difference may be corporate profits.

I have USA-built Danner boots called Combat Hikers the US military paid $320 for, and they were issued for Afghanistan service, because I bought an unworn pair from a returning special forces soldier. In comparing them to my $200 LL Bean Cresta Hikers made by AKU, the AKU boots are definitely more comfortable and more durable. Similar Vibram soles on both, but the Danner boots have rand separation problems at two-years service. Been wearing the LL Bean boots since 2007 with no similar failure. Soles are finally worn out, but the uppers lasted with no rand separation.

Does NOT matter if you are talking scopes, boots or whatever. When a company is bought out, it is usually for profit motives. I would be VERY surprised if Burris scope quality remains as high or goes up after the Beretta acquisition. Most of the upscale Burris scope models were dropped after the acquisition. It looks like Beretta will focus on selling a lot of the cheaper models made overseas. Not likely Burris will maintain the reputation they once had. Beretta is NOT an optics company, so they have no expertise in improving any optics company they might buy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.