Finally Broke into the 700 Yard Club

Went out hunting this afternoon and was able to take a shot at a whitetail right before dark standing right by my 700 yard steel gong frame. Up until today I had only shot at steel at 700yrds. It was my first attempt on live game at this distance. I'm proud of my rem 700 7mm rem mag. Also, love the 160 gr accubonds. The Kenton turret that I put on my Leupold VX3 4.5X14X40 Works great! As accurate as you can hold it. Here's the video. Enjoy....

700 Yard Whitetail Kill - YouTube
Hmm entry just to the right of the shoulder and dead clean through the spine?

Excellent!

I have used H4831 in all of my 7 mags. I have read a lot of positive results with H1000 as well.
The 'smith that built my LR rifle developed that load. It works, so I use it.
My light weight long range rifle is a 270 WSM. I really like that round, especially in a gun that weighs about 8 lbs scoped. Last week this rifle was shooting 1/2 MOA at 842 yards. I shoot H4831 out of it too. Getting 3180 fps with 140 gr. Berger VLD's.
Wait until you get hold of a really accurate looong range rifle. I've had a few, but I am still amazed by the ability of this sort of rifle to reach out to these distances with that level of precision.
It IS awesome!

Edited to add this; Now that you are shooting to 700, you will quickly see the importance of really good scope, rangefinder, and ballistic software. You also need really accurate data to input to your software.
Do you have an anemometer yet? Elevation is easy, it's the wind that is hard. Is your reticle plumb to the center of bore, and do you have a level on your rifle to keep everything plumb? How about some means of measuring incline?
You are entering another level of precision shooting, and will need the right tools to be successful. I got tired of missing varmints by inches, and the right tools, along with learning how to use them, has increased my kill percentage dramatically.
My limit on the 7 mag is 800 yards. Any closer than that and it's not sporting.

I'm shooting Reloader 19 and 140gr Accubond out of my 270wsm. All I really have is the turret and the rangefinder. Me and my buddy shoot alot and record a lot of our info. Pretty much trial and error. Base ourselves off of the DOPE we recorded. Sounds like I need to invest in some tools of the trade. I do know practice helps a lot, I can remember when 500 seemed impossible. I'm getting married this month and may not be able to afford any new gadgets or rifles for a while! Lol but I def am interested in going beyond what I have already.

If you have recorded good DOPE, you should be able to put together a pretty good data sheet. Go to the G7 Ballistic Calculator, available here on LRH or on G7's website, and enter what you already have. There is a Validate Trajectory feature that you should be able to use to come up with a velocity. I got along for years with just the same information you already have, just by entering it into a software program and field testing until I had good DOPE at, say 100,300, and 600 yards. From there the software filled in the other ranges. I printed out my data sheets in 10 yard increments... that is until I started using G7's rangefinder, but that is covered in detail on other threads here.
As I mentioned earlier, I got tired of missing varmints by inches, so I started investing in more tools, and the knowledge to use them.

When you zoomed the camera back to the shooting position it looked like there was a deer still feeding at the 150 yard mark. They must be quite used to the shooting.:D

Steve

Sweet!, now just if all our game would show up on our shooting range right in front of the shooting bench. No more laying on the ground.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.