Finally broke down and spent the money

BamaBoy9

well I have always loved long range shooting but have reached a point where my equipment could not complete my goals . So I went out and purchased a chassis gun Remington PRS in 6.5 Creedmoor, topped with a trijicon 5x20x50. Just wondering what are the next upgrades I need to be saving up for!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
If you aren't a hand loader you need to take that jump. Handloading will greatly increase you accuracy.
Have been looking into it . Looking at some starter sets from rcb and Lyman and lee but don't know what is good to start with

I've been looking at Redding presses and kits. Redding is American made. Graf and sons has a good price. Also like Forester Co Ax. Brownels has a good price for it

i'd definitely look into handloading, but it wouldn't be my top priority.

Factory ammo has come a long ways, and it's not like the old days where you had to hand load to obtain precision.

I shoot a lot of .4moa groups with factory hornady black. in the creedmoor their factory 143 eld-x and 147 eld-m ammo shoot excellent and consistently have low ES and SD. I know several people shooting consistent .2-.4 moa groups running factory ammo.

seeing as you bought a remington, the trigger would be probably the first thing I would replace, those x-marks are truly dreadful. I run a Timney calvin elite 2 stage personally, but trigger choice is personal preference. can't go wrong with triggertech, bix 'n andy, jewell, or timney imo.

Like stated above, a good range finder, and ballistics app. other than that i'd get out and shoot it. being that it is a factory remington, the barrel itself may not be a shooter (as was the case with mine) and is why it's currently being blueprinted and a brux barrel installed.

I've never met anyone the regrets learning to reload

I'll second the trigger upgrade
Kestrel 2500 is all you need as long as you have a good ballistics calculator/app. I like applied ballistics myself
Scope level that mounts on scope or rings.
As stated in the meme you won't save money reloading because you'll shoot twice as much.
Get out and shoot and have fun with it

I'll add that you don't really need much space to reload. My first set up took up a 2x3 space in a closet

I second the wait on reloading. I have all the stuff and haven't touched it in three years. Spend the time shooting. I've had great luck with the Hornady match, HSM Trophy gold, and Black hills. Kestrel with AB or basic Kestrel and hornady's 4Dof (free). A quality bi-pod. A good chronograph for accurate velocity and es of the ammo. All these things will help you.

Bamaboy what was your formal setup How many yards out are you looking to shoot for the moment a range finder it might help if you learn how to reload.

Bamaboy what was your formal setup How many yards out are you looking to shoot for the moment a range finder it might help if you learn how to reload.
Remington 700 in 300 win mag , laminate stock. Great for hunting but 400 was about max i could shoot with it accurately. I have since free floated the barrel and just finished pillar and glass bedding the action. My stock was touching my barrel in several places . Was very disappointed in the craftsmanship of the factory stock . It was very pretty on the outside but technically poor. I'm afraid I'm becoming obsessed with accuracy!

I've never met anyone the regrets learning to reload

I'll second the trigger upgrade
Kestrel 2500 is all you need as long as you have a good ballistics calculator/app. I like applied ballistics myself
Scope level that mounts on scope or rings.
As stated in the meme you won't save money reloading because you'll shoot twice as much.
Get out and shoot and have fun with it

I'll add that you don't really need much space to reload. My first set up took up a 2x3 space in a closet
I agree with the statement that people that reload don't regret it. I have learned so much from hand loading and watching your groups shrink is almost addictive.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.