Finally, 800 yards 1.8 inch group

Robbin

Finally broke the code on my wildcat 6.5X47 Lapua (.290 neck turn with a Hart 28 inch heavy contour tube, jewel trigger on an old Rem 700LA action and an custom stock from the early 70s)

Finally broke the code and found something that really shoots. I haven't found anything that has moved it until now, very little difference, good or bad. I tried some berger 140 BT Target Long Range. Not VLDs thou the BC is very close, 592 vs 613. My velocities are still well below the manuals, Quick Load or what others are reporting. This load exceeds the max recommended load but the MV is only 2840. I never saw one deviate more the 10fps. Using RL17.

Anyway, laddering up to max pressure, the load before the top, shot two, back to back 3 shot groups that were sub .5 MOA. at 200 yards. I didn't measure them but they were well inside a single quadrant off the 2" bull circle. I would guess .3 to .4 inch center to center. I was VERY excited, with 300 rounds thru it and nothing sub .5 moa to show for it.

Excited and little time or loaded rounds left I moved to 400 and put six in a sub MOA group so I struck out for 800. Took 4 shots to get on the steel, my scope is not level (I fixed that this morning), once I hit the steel, I didn't change anything and fired my last two rounds.

3 shots at 800 yards in 1.88 inches…. I was not able shoot LR today, wind was howling, so I can't tell you if it was complete luck or if the gun can do that all the time.

I can tell you that today, even in high wind the 6 inch steel was easy at 400. I've got almost 350 rounds thru her so that may have something to do with it, as it's well broken in. But last weekend I was still shooting MOA groups. I think I just got lucky and found a node. QickLoad was worthless with this rifle. It varies so much from expected pressure, barrel time and muzzle velocity.
Interestingly enough, this new bullet works the best with QL but still about 100fps out.

So far, every shot has been new brass, I'm down to about 40 rounds of new brass, then I get to move to the once fired brass. It will be very cool because I don't have to resize it. The neck turned brass is just about perfect, The spring back is about 1.5 thousands and it's just enough to snuggly hold the new round without resizing even the neck. if anything it should be even more accurate because it's fire formed to the chamber.

Wildcat.jpg

800yds18inch.jpg

That is one good looking group to me. Hope you can repeat that or better all the time. Keep us updated.

I will say this up front, I've been loading WAY over the manuals or quickload because my gun is very different.... Don't try this at home.

I'm shooting 40.5 grains and it's compressed, I've shot to 41.4 and finally got high pressure signs, but it shoots 41 with flat primers.

40.5 primers are flat, but still rounded edges, and I only get 2840 with that.

40.5 is about to the base of the neck, but the 140s go below the neck.

You brought up something I haven't thought about, my crono has been very accurate in the past, with several other rifles matched to BC and MV out to 800. In this case, the impact point was about 1.5 moa high at 800. My first thought was that the scopes click distances must be off. But it could be the crono. I'll take a known load from another rifle and shoot a few to double check the crono. Good thinking, that's would explain the big difference between this rifle and Quick Load. QL is usually about 30fps faster than my real life results, and I measuer the cases, OAL, H20 capacity. But with this rifle it's been 100 to 130 off.
Thanks

Very Very Nice---enjoy that one it is a shooter!!!!!! Makes it fun to hear the steel ring!!

Inspiring post. Very nice group! I've got a commercial Mauser action that has a history as a target-grade action and am contemplating 6.5mm options. Leaning toward 6.5x57 or -06 right now, but this is an interesting one too.

Very cool stock.

Very nice group, gives folks like myself something to aspire to. Gorgeous stock, It looks custom made, is it and did you do it yourself or by someone else? Charlie

Congrats on the group. It's amazing how a change here or there and it starts to come around. Sounds like you are getting this one figured out. Keep us posted.

Robbin,
Hey, good shooting man. It's exilerating when a plan comes together at LR. That is a nice looking rifle you have there. I can see the "era" as the honeycomb recoil pad gives it away. Classic, and I like it. JohnnyK.

You brought up something I haven't thought about, my crono has been very accurate in the past, with several other rifles matched to BC and MV out to 800. In this case, the impact point was about 1.5 moa high at 800. My first thought was that the scopes click distances must be off. But it could be the crono. I'll take a known load from another rifle and shoot a few to double check the crono. Good thinking, that's would explain the big difference between this rifle and Quick Load. QL is usually about 30fps faster than my real life results, and I measuer the cases, OAL, H20 capacity. But with this rifle it's been 100 to 130 off.
Thanks

Chrony's are a useful tool, but I always take them with a grain of salt. I've seen them do too many whacky things depending on light conditions, battery, etc. The real story is in the drops.

Last edited:
Very nice group, gives folks like myself something to aspire to. Gorgeous stock, It looks custom made, is it and did you do it yourself or by someone else? Charlie

The stock was the one that came the first time I had the wildcat built by an old gunsmith in VA about 30 years ago. He hand made the stock. The gun was a 300wby necked down to 7MM but the gun never shot worth a darn.
I finally decided to rebuild it, kept the original stock and the Rem 700 LA.
The action is on it's 3rd caliber 270 7mm/300wby and now 6.5x47 Lapua.

I just couldn't give up the old stock and that red splatter scope sets it off.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.