Finally, 2021 Wyoming Unit 26 Moose Hunt Tag!

Cutback

I had posted this on Eastman's yesterday but, this forum is where I'm at most days so, I thought I'd repost....

After 21 years of running the preference point treadmill, I finally drew my Moose tag!

I started this journey, when an outfitter friend of mine, told me I needed to start putting in, as it only took 5 preference points to be guaranteed to draw the tag.

Clearly, you can see how it worked out....
It will be a tough road ahead for future generations, that share the same dreams, some of us have, and were fortunate enough to experience.

Besides the obvious, I'm no longer the hunting machine, I used to be...
I am now 62, Still in good shape, and am blessed to have the opportunity to hunt these great animals.

I have hunted Wyoming many times and have had many adventures, to remember and re- visit, in my memories...

The areas and units that I know well, are not the Unit (26) that I drew this Moose tag for.
I will be contacting the Regional Wildlife Biologist and making multiple trips to Wyoming to scout.

My plan will be to grab my bow during Archery season and if I'm not able to close the deal, hopefully, I'll have more intel to use during rifle season.
If any members have any experience or insight as to this Unit, in regards to Moose, please reach out. (maybe Elk hunters)

I have spent quite a bit of time in Region G (Deer) and Unit 90/91 (Antelope) and would be willing to share what I could, to help out another member.

With a little luck and hard work, I hope to share my experience and story, with others...

That's awfully cool, I"m 62 as well and hope to heck to draw my moose tag in Mt this year.........

Do you plan to hunt on your own or with an outfitter?

That's awfully cool, I"m 62 as well and hope to heck to draw my moose tag in Mt this year.........

Do you plan to hunt on your own or with an outfitter?
Hey dogz, I'd luv to hear you drew your tag. At 62, we need to get it done!
I'll be doing it on my own...

Ok. I thought I'd post an update...
First, Thank you for all for the responses and pm's. Intel was very valuable and very much appreciated...
I got back this last weekend from my first scouting trip.
In total, I saw 25 Moose. 9 Bulls, of which 5 were shooters but, (2) Bulls were on private land so, in reality 3 Bulls that I would have gone after.
Very encouraged with what I saw...
I also met with one of the Wyoming Game and Fish officers, for the unit.
Awesome representative for the state...
We spent quite a bit of time together and he shared invaluable knowledge for his area. I could not speak more highly of him and the time he spent with me.
Looking forward to spending more time in the "High Country."

-- Cutback

Last edited:
Hey Cody, I sure hope one of the 3 Bulls is still around, on my next trip.
BTW, I was in your neck of the woods (Kemmerer) on my way to scout the Fontenelle Drainage.

Hey Cody, I sure hope one of the 3 Bulls is still around, on my next trip.
BTW, I was in your neck of the woods (Kemmerer) on my way to scout the Fontenelle Drainage.
Yup, nice little area. If ya ever have any questions about the area, feel free to message me, I'll help ya out!