Final Word On Nosler Accubond LR

Engineering101

By now everyone that wants them should have been able to get some and many would have hunted with them last Fall. What can they do and what can they not do?

My impression is they are too soft for most applications - particularly in the higher power rifles unless you really are shooting long range where the 1,300 fps terminal performance spec is helpful. Since most game animals are not shot at long range that makes them kind of a niche product. I suppose they also would be good for long range practice shooting rocks and such as they have decent BCs,

They also should be good in reduced power loads for kids who are just starting out hunting. Of the flip side, they should be a disaster taking a shoulder shot on a moose at 50 yards. Kind of ironic that Nosler's latest product seems to be exactly the kind of bullet that prompted John Nosler to invent the Partition.

So what say you - those who have used them (I have only shot paper with them)? What is the verdict?

My impression is they are too soft for most applications - particularly in the higher power rifles

Why do you have this impression?

Nosler claims their effective velocity range is 3200-1300 fps, which would cover most cartridges at close range. Just because Nosler says it is so, doesn't make it true, but I haven't heard anything that would refute this until now.

I don't have an opinion either way, just wondering how you came to have yours. Only thing I know is that they've been hard to find.

-nosualc

nosualc

I remember reading (and seeing pictures) of bullet fragments left after a relatively high velocity impact. Retained weight of the biggest piece was like 15%. I can't remember what the velocity was or what was being shot so I thought I would get the latest info. I do remember changing my thinking about them from they ought to be a useful bullet to well maybe not so useful.

ridgerunner

Thanks for the threads. I'll check them out.

ridgerunner

Those water jug tests look pretty good. 50% weight retention in a high BC bullet that works down to 1,300 fps would be useful.

Is there anyone out there who has shot game with them? How did they work?

I finally found some info and it is troubling. This is from a thread by HuntFarther from 12/4/13.

"I ranged when they stopped was 735 yards, dialed and sent a lrab. I watched the impact right behind the shoulder shade high, he dropped like a ton of bricks. I was super excited but disappointed at the same time. Everything came together but I have packed my camera for 5 days trying to get a buck down on film.

I finish gathering everything and head on down the draw. I crested a saddle and could not believe it, the does were still there. And then quickly noticed a nice buck behind them. I thought, where did this buck come from, then quickly looked at the hill for my buck. And my buck is gone, didn't take to long to figure out what is up, sorta. Look and start ranging the buck again, 439 yards. I then saw him step with a limp, blood spot on his high shoulder. Okay, got my gun out of the pack and dialed it up, now the deer see me and just about ready to run. Then buck squares off looking head on at me. I send it, and hear "whack" and the buck rocks back then runs forward to me. The does are coming through a draw I ranged 419, he comes out and stands there again. "Whack" and falls down. I am now relieved. Just then was watching and the steam that was coming out of him, quickly realized was coming out of his nose instead of his side. To find he starts thrashing and get his head up. I quickly shot him in the neck, and his head falls over. I am out of bullets and quickly and I mean quickly reload with my bergers.

I don't want anyone to think I am a nosler or berger fan. I was trying the nosler hoping for something besides the berger. But all in a few minutes decided someone else can finish testing the lrab for me."

Later in the thread he says:

"The entrance on the neck was baseball size going in and maybe .308 out."

This is not good - putting craters in an animal. Anyone have them perform differently?

A buddy shot one at a whitetail this year at 907 yards. Dropped like a ton of bricks. They are a top notch LR bullet, Nosler actually recommends it for over 400 yard hunting and the regular AccuBond for sub 400 yard hunting. Just pick the bullet that will suit your needs best and you won't have a problem with either.

adam32

I'd love to read Nosler's comments on this bullet. Where did you see their recommendations on over 400 yards for the ABLRs? Thanks.

Good to hear that they do work cause the only stuff I'd found to this point was scary - maybe that mule deer was just crazy tough.

I think that we all should know that erratic performance can be expected with the jacketed VLD bullets at +/- 3000 fps impact.

Yes, sometimes DRT, but usually not...

adam32

Pretty interesting. Thanks. Nosler actually says the ABLR comes into play beyond 500 yards. They really did make a bullet for long range. I'm guessing your buddy who shot the deer at 907 yards like them. One shot and DRT. What kind of rifle was he using?

adam32

Pretty interesting. Thanks. Nosler actually says the ABLR comes into play beyond 500 yards. They really did make a bullet for long range. I'm guessing your buddy who shot the deer at 907 yards like them. One shot and DRT. What kind of rifle was he using?

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was 400 or 500.

It was a custom 270 weatherby.

Good info from Nosler. I can't imagine the ALR would be much different on a close/high velocity impact than a Berger.

I hope they've got a 338 ALR in the works. Right now I'm using the 300 Accubond. I would guess they're working on something that can compete with the 300 Berger.