Filling synthetic stock with fiber glass resin

Oo ok thanks, so can cyanoacrylate glue actually sticl to polypropylene?
The question is " can cyanoacrylate glue attach something to polypropylene type plastics". Everything I read said it could, and In my experience, it can. But I believe each plastic can be different so , figured I would experiment instead of mowing the grass on this 90+ deg day.

I searched through my firearms hovel and found a section of buttstock that I cut off of my Granddaughters Savage Axis when I shortened it to fit her. Took a while to find it and the fiber glass matt.

I scuffed up part of the inside of the surface with a drum sander in my Dremel, swabbed that portion with Loctite Plastics Bonder and applied some GlueMasters Thick Instant Glue (cyanoacrylate). Why didn't I use Loctite glue (cyanoacrylate)? I couldn't get the cap off of it. Besides , GlueMasters is pretty much my favorite super glue (cyanoacrylate). It comes in thick, medium, and thin for different applications. With it , I've repaired sneakers, hikers, trash can lids, eye glasses to name a few.

So then, within a minute, I laid a cut piece of fiber glass matt from NAPA ( 30+ years old), onto the inside of the buttstock where the cyanoacrylate settled evenly.

And using a piece of plastic knife from Dominos, gently put pressure on the fiber glass matt until it looked slightly transparent.

That was at 2 pm-ish, ( seems really secure so far), but I'm going to give it 24 hours, and then apply another layer, wait another 24 hrs. and see if an epoxy, ( Acra glass- JB Weld etc) will adhere to the fiber glass matt.
1594073245301.png

Inside scuffed.
1594073292753.png

Glue and bonder
1594073321621.png

Fiber glass matt
1594073358564.png

Applied, you can slightly see some transparent spots in the matt.
1594073393560.png

Tugged on it pretty good. Let it set a day and go from there.

Last edited:
The question is " can cyanoacrylate glue attach something to polypropylene type plastics". Everything I read said it could, and In my experience, it can. But I believe each plastic can be different so , figured I would experiment instead of mowing the grass on this 90+ deg day.

I searched through my firearms hovel and found a section of buttstock that I cut off of my Granddaughters Savage Axis when I shortened it to fit her. Took a while to find it and the fiber glass matt.

I scuffed up part of the inside of the surface with a drum sander in my Dremel, swabbed that portion with Loctite Plastics Bonder and applied some GlueMasters Thick Instant Glue (cyanoacrylate). Why didn't I use Loctite glue (cyanoacrylate)? I couldn't get the cap off of it. Besides , GlueMasters is pretty much my favorite super glue (cyanoacrylate). It comes in thick, medium, and thin for different applications. With it , I've repaired sneakers, hikers, trash can lids, eye glasses to name a few.

So then, within a minute, I laid a cut piece of fiber glass matt from NAPA ( 30+ years old), onto the inside of the buttstock where the cyanoacrylate settled evenly.

And using a piece of plastic knife from Dominos, gently put pressure on the fiber glass matt until it looked slightly transparent.

That was at 2 pm-ish, ( seems really secure so far), but I'm going to give it 24 hours, and then apply another layer, wait another 24 hrs. and see if an epoxy, ( Acra glass- JB Weld etc) will adhere to the fiber glass matt.
View attachment 202274
Inside scuffed.
View attachment 202275

Glue and bonder
View attachment 202276
Fiber glass matt
View attachment 202277
Applied, you can slightly see some transparent spots in the matt.
View attachment 202278
Tugged on it pretty good. Let it set a day and go from there.
I'll look for the ingredients thanks for the explanation

Oh my! Very simple, Use Epoxy for less shrinkage, don't mix whatever you use too aggressively as it heats up during curing and may melt your stock. Mix epoxy with Micro balloons to keep lighter or Cabosil for strength.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.