Filling synthetic stock with fiber glass resin

Don't forget , he's in Namibia. hard to know what firearms stuff is available there from here.

Hey Im at the *** end of the world here to mate :p

The amount of stuff I have had to order & get posted from the USA would fill a decent trunk of a car!

That's because I either couldn't get it here(no distributor) or it was actually cheaper even with the postage(I loved it when the $AU to $US was on par, bought heaps of gear as its so cheap over there)!

Just like the Magneto speed off barrel mount from Wiser Precision I saw on another thread I have been on, if I want it I have to get it from your home soil because it doesn't exist here & I hope they will be able to ship it under ITAR & if they will ship it hopefully it wont cost me an arm & a leg in postage!

Its not uncommon here to have to wait for up to 12 months for factory rifles to arrive that you have put a deposit on!!

So if he's in Namibia he is most likely in the same boat as me ;)

I agree about the adhesion problem aushunter1 points out.

The OP is talking about the butt stock and he wants more rigidity. Wants to add a cheek rest.

Keep in mind that I haven't tried this. Just mulling it over since reading the OP's first post question.

So .........What "IF" you were able to adhere fiber glass cloth , (like comes in automotive patch kits), to the inside of the butt stock using a Cyanoacrylate glue. After a layer or two is built up, would you have a fiberglass base that will accept adhesion of epoxy ? or any other glue/adhesive you choose.

If so, then mix the epoxy and loose chopped fiberglass and fill the remaining areas inside of the buttstock. My thinking is the cyanoacrylate glues fiber glass layers to the inside of the stock which provides something for the epoxy to adhere .

First rough up the inside of the butt stock , apply the "super glue" in the furthermost portion and then a strip of fiber glass cloth on top of the super glue. Repeat working your way out to the butt until the inside of the buttstock is covered. It would take great time ,care and development of technique to get the first layer in place.

It would add weight, but if you keep in mind to keep the rifle balanced at the magazine area, it shouldn't be distracting.

Maybe I've been sniffin' too much glue.
Oo ok thanks, so can cyanoacrylate glue actually sticl to polypropylene?

$42 for a Kydex raiser, he will spend that on epoxy & resin, then he has to buy the raiser.

Its his time & money :)
What Wdym with raiser? I was not sure if the bolts from the kydex piece might start squishing the stock. I slightly bothered me that on sides screws would not make full contact because of the cheek piece sticking out to one side.

A Boyds At-One stock with an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable length of pull is $204 plus shipping.
If you are going to fill the butt stock, you would probably be better off carving a piece of hardwood to fit with some clearance and then epoxy it in. The lesser mass of epoxy will keep shrinkage to a minimum. Tape some coarse sandpaper to a stick and scuff up the inside of the cavity. Then wipe out the cavity with acetone right before you do the epoxy. This gets any oils or release agent from manufacturing out.
Then you can drill and install your cheek piece. You could even install aluminum bushings with tapped holes for the clamping screws.

Last edited:
A Boyds At-One stock with an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable length of pull is $204 plus shipping.
If you are going to fill the butt stock, you would probably be better off carving a piece of hardwood to fit with some clearance and then epoxy it in. The lesser mass of epoxy will keep shrinkage to a minimum. Tape some coarse sandpaper to a stick and scuff up the inside of the cavity. Then wipe out the cavity with acetone right before you do the epoxy. This gets any oils or release agent from manufacturing out.
Then you can drill and install your cheek piece. You could even install aluminum bushings with tapped holes for the clamping screws.
Thanks for the idee. Yeah but shipping is atleast 100 $

My bad, I missed the part about it just being the buttstock to be filled!

Still, Im not sure why you need to do this when the easy solution is to just fit an adjustable Kydex cheek riser.

2 drill holes & job done!

Another even easier option is to just put on an adjustable height Velcro type like a Bistoli where you have different height inserts, no drilling no mess 😁

Boyds do great stocks, I have 2 of them.

The At One would be a good value 2nd option.

In saying that I am of the opinion that you are best to glass or pillar bed these stock(or both), especially if its a LR rig.
I have ordered two adjustable cheek pieces from Matthews fabrication I recommend them highly no problems at all fast shipping and it is a veteran owned company

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.