Filling synthetic stock with fiber glass resin

Namibguy

I recently got my first rifle and it has a crappy synthetic stock on. I was wondering can I fill the back of the stock with fiber glass resin or wil there be difficulties, it's a lot cheaper for than using epoxy. I just was to make it more solid as I want te make n diy adjustable comb. I also was wondering do 30 min epoxies work for bedding or will it be structurally weak?

Nami -

Howdy !

I used a mold, and cast a combo barrel clamp/ fwd bi-pod mount on my Marlin M-336XLR .35 Remington.

I used " casting resin" from a hobby supply store. It smells just like fiberglass resin.

A note w/ the can said to limit thickness to under 4". In that regard, you should be alright IMHO.

You'll want to keep the stuff confined to only those places where you want it, so " dam and dike " is the order of the day.

I am currently working on my CVA top break .35 Rem. I am using modeling clay to add wt to the rifle,
for passive recoil reduction. My CVA Hunter has a hollow black plastic butt stock, and the clay I added inside it increased scoped rifle wt to 10+ lb, including bi-pod. The clay is cheaper, doesn't smell, and is not nearly as messy as resin.

With regards,
357Mag

Attachments

• 3D97D662-77DC-4402-95BD-829A863883F1.jpeg
    3D97D662-77DC-4402-95BD-829A863883F1.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 9055F965-4C3F-4CA7-BBD0-9C36828964CC.jpeg
    9055F965-4C3F-4CA7-BBD0-9C36828964CC.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 182341D7-7ECC-4465-891F-4CE31C35B185.jpeg
    182341D7-7ECC-4465-891F-4CE31C35B185.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 106FCCB4-5669-4EE7-BCED-FA500FB9BDFE.jpeg
    106FCCB4-5669-4EE7-BCED-FA500FB9BDFE.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 0E7F68C7-F77B-4F94-99B3-D022348F18CE.jpeg
    0E7F68C7-F77B-4F94-99B3-D022348F18CE.jpeg
    934.9 KB · Views: 152
Namibguy -

Oops.... I see the computer sent along some unintended pics. I apologize.

With regards,
357Mag

Namibguy -

Oops.... I see the computer sent along some unintended pics. I apologize.

With regards,
357Mag
Haha its no problem... I want to fill it with something solid as I want to make a diy adjustable cheek piece so I need some for the cheek rest rods to go into.

A lot of times body putty is used for filling and is cheap I've used it before in molding things to fit my hand better. David

I recently got my first rifle and it has a crappy synthetic stock on. I was wondering can I fill the back of the stock with fiber glass resin or wil there be difficulties, it's a lot cheaper for than using epoxy. I just was to make it more solid as I want te make n diy adjustable comb. I also was wondering do 30 min epoxies work for bedding or will it be structurally weak?
Whatever fill you use, I think it is going to add a BUNCH of weight and off center the balance point. Just my opinion. Good luck.

What stock is it.......who made it and of what material ?

Don't use resin alone as it has no strength. Get fiberglass mat at auto parts, mix it into the resin, a gooey mess, and pack it into the butt stock. Route out the fore end to accept a 3/8" threaded rod and goop it in place with the same stuff. Cover the bbl with release agent and put 2 wraps of electrical tape around it at the tip to center the fore end around the bbl. Tighten up the floor plate screws and let it cure. Now you'll have a stock you can butt stroke a bear with. I did 5 Marlin XLs and they were rock solid and unaffected by fore end pressure.

I'm not sure I fully
Don't use resin alone as it has no strength. Get fiberglass mat at auto parts, mix it into the resin, a gooey mess, and pack it into the butt stock. Route out the fore end to accept a 3/8" threaded rod and goop it in place with the same stuff. Cover the bbl with release agent and put 2 wraps of electrical tape around it at the tip to center the fore end around the bbl. Tighten up the floor plate screws and let it cure. Now you'll have a stock you can butt stroke a bear with. I did 5 Marlin XLs and they were rock solid and unaffected by fore end pressure.
Did you just cut the mat into random sized pieces. In the fore end how did you lay the fiber glass can you post pictures.

Last edited:
I would not pour the buttstock full of resin but use this and pack it in there to avoid weight. Avoid air holes !

Potter explains the fore end trick although I prefer threaded rod as it has more surface area.

If you have ?s PM me. Thanks.

Devcon 10110 if you can get it. You really should be plenty good if you bed the recoil lug and rear tang if there is enough surface. Study up youtube for rifle bedding if you've never done it before. You can ruin your rifle if you are not diligent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.