Filled my late season doe tag

Gunpowder

I went out with a good buddy and a new friend to see if we could fill my tag today. Horrible wind today, as it has been the last few days here. I knew my 30 Rem AR wasn't the ideal tool for the job today, but with the Eliminator scope helping me with windage I was confident just the same. And this morning I tested it out on some steel out to 380 yds just to check.

We had plenty of ground to hunt, and spotted a pair pretty quickly. With no real cover to help us our first two stalks were a bust. Nothing but sandburs and cactus in the knees for a reward.

Then we found a small herd on a winter wheat pivot and had some cover to crawl within 300 yds. Ended up belly crawling the last 100 yds and got set up. They spotted us, and started moving off just as I was getting settled in. But they stopped for a last look and I made the shot count. 298 yds, no not a long shot. But was fighting 25 mph winds so held between its back quarter and the paunch, and hit the front edge of the front shoulder, so drifted a lot! It stumbled over a rise out of sight and when the rest of the herd emerged she wasn't with them. The 125 sst did a good job.

TseUs1Pl.jpg

It was Box Butte East unit. I will add that this pronghorn is nearly inedible! I made some summer sausage last weekend, same mix I normally use/like, but this one has a very odd taste that I can't handle. Not sure why, it came from croplands so should have been good!

It was Box Butte East unit. I will add that this pronghorn is nearly inedible! I made some summer sausage last weekend, same mix I normally use/like, but this one has a very odd taste that I can't handle. Not sure why, it came from croplands so should have been good!

Interesting I have never had a bad one and I shoot them out in the sage when it's 90 degrees outside.

Congrats.

I never miss an opportunity to harvest an antelope doe here in Oklahoma. My three sons and I have shot several over the past few years. Some of the best eating jerky we have ever made has come from antelope.

This year mine was taken at 665 yards with a 300 Win and my oldest son got his at 200 yards with his '06

Great job! Enjoy the chow.

sorry, just saw your reply where it isn't that good....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.