Fight night! Poll for 7RM vs 300WM. Read on for the "twist".

Elk Killer. Ribs and shoulder fair game...

• 50 yds 300WM 208 ELDM

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • 50 yds 7RM 175 ELDX

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 350 yds 300WM 208 ELDM

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • 350 yds 7RM 175 ELDX

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 650 yds 300WM 208 ELDM

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • 650 yds 7RM 175 ELDX

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

entoptics

No need to leave you hanging. The "twist" is match bullet vs hunting bullet, but big vs small ELD-M vs ELD-X.

When voting, you have 3 votes. The poll is meant to spend a vote per yardage. So 1 vote for which wins at 50 yds, one vote for winner at 350 yds, and 1 vote for 650 yds.

Parameters?

1) 0.7 G1 BC, 2900 fps. In my rifles, these puppies shoot essentially identical. Only meaningful difference is the weight and construction. 175 ELDX "hunting bullet" in my 7 rem mag, 208 ELDM "match" bullet in my 300 Win Mag.

2) These are my actual choices. My rifles and reloads, tested hard, and currently being hunted with (only tiny whitetails in a bluetounge pandemic), but a confident real world 1 MOA precision on game out to 650 yds.

3) The question is about elk. Bull Elk. Small to medium sized ones...(I'm being realistic here ;) ). Also, don't rely on "perfect" shot stuff. Ribs and shoulders are fair game.

4) Forget about recoil, powder consumption, etc. Just which one will put the thump on most reliably!

So...Spend your votes wisely. Which bullet would you trust to get the job done 9 outa 10. Don't waffle around with that "they'll both do the job" crap. Pull up your suspenders and vote for one or the other at each range!

A fan of 30 cal. and 200+gr bullets for elk. Of course tons and tons of elk have been killed with smaller calibers and lighter bullets, but like the power of the heavier bullet and larger caliber for elk, less tracking.

A fan of 30 cal. and 200+gr bullets for elk. Of course tons and tons of elk have been killed with smaller calibers and lighter bullets, but like the power of the heavier bullet and larger caliber for elk, less tracking.
Okay, I'll agree about everything you said, BUT--I like the 33 caliber rifles. Why? Because you can get them with great big cases, they use lots of gun powder, kick like the devil himself, breath fire and belch smoke, make all kinds of racket, and will kill pretty much anything a .22 short bullet will kill. I like big guns, and before you write something about that, I do have BIGGER guns.

Okay, I'll agree about everything you said, BUT--I like the 33 caliber rifles. Why? Because you can get them with great big cases, they use lots of gun powder, kick like the devil himself, breath fire and belch smoke, make all kinds of racket, and will kill pretty much anything a .22 short bullet will kill. I like big guns, and before you write something about that, I do have BIGGER guns.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Me too!

Cheers.

Recent Posts